As the town grows and evolves, it is important that the right travel and transport infrastructure is in place. This is so that Basingstoke can continue to prosper, at the same time as offering an attractive and healthy place for people to live, work and visit.
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council and Hampshire County Council want to improve how people travel throughout Basingstoke. In a joint project they held a public consultation, to seek the views of residents, commuters, visitors, businesses and other stakeholders on the Basingstoke Transport Strategy. The consultation was held between 28 November 2018 and 28 January 2019. Following the feedback the strategy was finalised in July 2019 and is available for downloading below.
The transport strategy provides the framework for more detailed work on specific projects to 2029 and beyond. They are aimed at improving transport and travel around Basingstoke.
The following areas are covered by the strategy;
- improving access to and within the town centre
- creating new developments which are well-planned and integrated with the existing transport network
- providing a step change in the quality of local public transport
- developing high quality priority strategic walking and cycling corridors
- managing journey times and reliability
- maintaining strong strategic transport connections
- forward planning of the transport network to meet future needs