Apply for a disabled person’s bus pass plus companion
If you need someone to help you use public transport you can apply for a disabled person’s bus pass plus companion
- Who can apply
This is an enhancement to the national scheme and is available to Hampshire residents for journeys within the county.
There is no age restriction for the disabled person’s bus pass plus companion. You are only eligible if you are unable to travel unaccompanied (based on your disability rather than your age) and one or more of the following apply:
- are blind or partially sighted,
- are profoundly or severely deaf,
- are without speech,
- have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk,
- have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms,
- have a severe learning disability, including an arrested state of development from birth,
- would be refused a driving licence due to physical fitness (section 92 of the Road Transport Act 1988)
- are a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service
- DVLA long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (at least 12 months) (apply by post only)
- persons in residential accommodation (apply by post only)
- Documents you need to provide
You will need to provide one of the following as evidence of your disability:
- Hampshire County Council Blue Badge or number
- award letter for any Attendance Allowance
- award letter for the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- award letter for a War Pensioners Mobility Allowance
- award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
- letter from the DVLA giving notice of long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (misuse of alcohol or drugs are not included under this scheme) OR confirmation from a healthcare professional advising that you are unable to drive because of prescribed medication and its effects
- award letter for personal independence payment (PIP) where you have been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP "Moving Around" or "Communicating Verbally" activities OR audiology evidence demonstrating severe hearing loss – 70-95 dB OR registered with HCC Deaf Services as Deaf (BSL British Sign Language)
In addition to providing evidence of your disability, you need to provide a letter from a medically qualified healthcare professional confirming that you are unable to travel alone for medical reasons.
- When you can use your bus pass
The disabled person’s bus pass plus companion entitles you to:
- free all day travel on bus services for pass holder and companion on journeys starting in Hampshire (not Portsmouth and Southampton) regardless of where you are travelling to.
- free travel, for the pass holder only, 9.30am to 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays on bus services throughout the rest of England (including London). Companions must pay for their journey.
We have a reciprocal arrangement with Wiltshire Council that companions travelling with a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass plus Companion holder can travel for free on journeys between Hampshire and Wiltshire:
- 9.30am to 11pm Monday to Friday
- all day at weekends and on bank holidays.
If you travel anywhere else outside of Hampshire your companion will have to pay fares. This pass gives free travel for a companion of your choice. Companions only get free travel when they travel with you. They can’t travel for free on their own.
You can use your bus pass on the following Community Transport services (further eligibility criteria may apply, please see individual services for information)
- Call and Go, for half fare travel
- Dial a Ride, for half fare travel
- Fleet Link, Yateley Shopper and Eastleigh Parish Links, for half price travel
- Park and Ride services registered as local bus services (though you must still pay for the parking).
- Hampshire County Council Taxishare and carshare schemes.
Disabled person’s bus pass plus companion are not valid on:
- reserved seat services i.e. coaches
- temporary services running for less than six weeks (e.g. for special events)
- taxis, rail services, ferries, shopmobility, voluntary car schemes
- Hedge End Park Minibus Service
- Renewing your bus pass
Your pass will automatically be renewed after five years subject to some eligibility checks. Please ensure we have your current address details by notifying us if you move house.
- Lost or stolen pass
If you lose or damage your pass we will replace it at a cost of £11
- Payment can be made by credit/debit card by calling 0300 555 1376*. The replacement will be sent to you within 10 working days.
- You can apply in writing with your name, address and date of birth enclosing a Postal Order or cheque made payable to Hampshire County Council and send to Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696, FAREHAM, PO14 9PD (write your name and date of birth on the back). A photo is not required, however you can submit a new one if you want to.
- If you subsequently find your bus pass the payment can only be refunded if it is requested on the same day as the payment is taken.
We will not charge this fee if the pass has been stolen, provided you have told the police and have received an official crime number for the incident.
- Apply for a disabled person’s bus pass plus companion
You will need to provide:
- a current passport sized colour photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back
- proof of Hampshire address (e.g. copy of your driving licence or utility bill)
- proof of age (e.g. a copy of your driving licence or letter from the State Pension Service confirming your eligibility for state pension)
If you don’t have the above documents, you will need to provide alternative evidence. Your name and address must be the same as provided on your application form.
- You must provide your evidence of disability
- You must also provide the letter from a medically qualified healthcare professional confirming you are unable to travel alone.
Send a completed application form and all the relevant documents to: Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696, Fareham, PO14 9PD.
Please do not send original documents, they will not be returned to you.
Upon receipt we will review your application and if successful the bus pass will be posted to you within 10 working days. We will contact you if further information is required.