An alternative to the disabled person’s bus pass for Hampshire residents making journeys within the county
- Who can apply
Travel vouchers are an enhancement to the scheme for disabled people who are unable to use a bus service.
Travel vouchers are an alternative to the bus pass. You cannot have both. To use community transport services we recommend you apply for a disabled person’s bus pass.
You are eligible if any of the following apply:
- are blind or partially sighted,
- are profoundly or severely deaf,
- are without speech,
- have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk,
- have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms,
- have a severe learning disability, including an arrested state of development from birth,
- would be refused a driving licence due to physical fitness (section 92 of the Road Transport Act 1988)
- are a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service
- DVLA long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (at least 12 months)
- persons in residential accommodation
- Documents you need to provide
You will need to provide one of the following as evidence of your disability:
- Hampshire County Council Blue Badge or number
- award letter for the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- award letter for a War Pensioners Mobility Allowance
- award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
- letter from the DVLA giving notice of long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (misuse of alcohol or drugs are not included under this scheme) OR confirmation from a healthcare professional advising that you are unable to drive because of prescribed medication and its effects
- award letter for personal independence payment (PIP) where you have been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP "Moving Around" or "Communicating Verbally" activities OR audiology evidence demonstrating severe hearing loss – 70-95 dB OR registered with HCC Deaf Services as Deaf (BSL British Sign Language)
- Apply for travel vouchers
You will need to provide
- a current passport sized colour photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back
- proof of Hampshire address (e.g. copy of your driving licence or utility bill)
- provide your evidence of disability
If you don’t have the above documents, you will need to provide alternative evidence. Your name and address must be the same as provided on your application form.
Send a completed application form and all the relevant documents to: Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696, Fareham, PO14 9PD.
Please do not send original documents, they will not be returned to you.
Upon receipt we will review your application and if successful the travel vouchers will be posted to you within 10 working days. We will contact you if further information is required.
- When you can use your travel vouchers
You will receive £32 worth of travel vouchers per year or pro-rated if you apply during the year.
They can be used on journeys which start or finish in Hampshire.
Travel vouchers do not entitle you to discounted fares, you will need to pay the full fare for all services. Travel vouchers can be used to pay your fare, either in part or in full, on:
- Dial a Ride
- Call & Go
- taxis (Hackney carriage and private hire)
- voluntary car schemes
Not all taxis and voluntary car schemes will accept the vouchers.
This list is not exhaustive and other operators may accept travel vouchers, please check before travelling.
You cannot use your vouchers on:
- local bus services
- rail services
- Renewing your travel vouchers
New travel vouchers will automatically be issued to you each year subject to some eligibility checks.
Please ensure we have your current address details by telling us if you move house.
If you are moving into Hampshire you will need to apply as a new customer.
- Moving house
Voucher holders who move house since the issue of their current vouchers or are moving out of the Hampshire area are reminded to advise the County Council of their new address by completing the change of address notification form (for current Hampshire County Council customers only).
- Lost or stolen travel vouchers
Unfortunately we are unable to replace lost or stolen vouchers.
- Opening times
The bus pass team are available on email:-
8.30 until 17.00 Monday to Thursday
8.30 until 16.30 on a Friday
Closed Saturday, Sunday and Bank holidays