A33 Crockford and Binfields Roundabouts
Improvements at Crockford and Binfields roundabouts
Last update: August 2017
- Latest updates
The works will be starting on 7 August. Dyer and Butler will be setting up the site during the first week and the full traffic management arrangements will be introduced from 14 August.
Every effort will be made to minimise the impact of the works however additional delays should be expected during the course of the works and residents and visitors should allow more time to complete their journeys. The following measures are being introduced to better inform travel and help reduce delay:
- the existing number of traffic lanes will remain open during weekday peak times.
- full road closures will only be allowed on selected weekends or weekday night-times – and advanced notice will be given to residents and businesses
- use of variable message signs to warn of congestion hot-spots
- use of CCTV cameras to better manage traffic with images accessible from the ROMANSE Website
Presentation from meet the contractor event held on Wednesday 2 August at Chineham Business Park.
- Scheme overview
Hampshire County Council is starting work on 7 August 2017 to construct a £10.6 million package of highway improvements to increase capacity and help reduce congestion on the A33 in Basingstoke, between the Ringway and Great Binfields Lane roundabouts.
Dyer & Butler has been appointed as the County Council’s contractor to deliver the scheme. The works are programmed last around 18 months. The work is due to be complete in early 2019.
The scheme will also help ease congestion in two of the major employment areas in Basingstoke, Chineham and Hampshire International Business Parks, as well as aid any potential expansions and future job creation.
Improvements at Crockford and Great Binfields Roundabouts include:
- widening the existing approach roads
- road widening works on the roundabout
- installation of traffic signals on the roundabout
- upgrading of existing pedestrian and cycle facilities and connections
- drainage works
Part of the improvement work will be a major piece of work to address the root cause of the persistent localised flooding between the roundabouts, which stems from balancing pond north of the A33. Investigations have already been undertaken into the drainage in the area and the implications the extra drainage from the new road scheme would have on the balancing pond. Steps will therefore be taken to widen and line the pond while creating a new drainage system that will address future flooding issues.
In addition to the above, Hampshire County Council will be completing work on Ringway Roundabout. The completion of these works were deferred following discovery of mis-charted underground services, in order to ensure the works were competitively tendered.
- Public consultation now closed
In July 2015 there were three public exhibitions about these works and related major highway improvement works across Basingstoke. The consultation ran from 1 July to 13 August 2015. You can still view the exhibition document.
A total of 82 questionnaires were returned, with feedback being received on all the upcoming schemes in Basingstoke, as well as general feedback on the issues faced by Basingstoke as a whole.
- Contact us
- Name Strategic Transport
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 0300 555 1388 (0300 555 1390: Minicom)
Economy, Transport and Environment Department
Hampshire County Council