A35 Road and Bridge Essential Works (Redbridge Viaduct)
Last update: August 2018
- Latest updates
- Hampshire County Council is pleased to announce that the carriageway bridge joint repair work and surface replacement work on the A35 Redbridge and Totton Bypass, westbound, is complete. Furthermore, following this work Hampshire Highways took the opportunity to resurface the eastbound carriageway between the Redbridge Causeway bridges and Rushington roundabout, which is now complete. Work to replace the footway bridge joints on Redbridge Viaduct is also now complete.
Redbridge Viaduct is a 50 year old bridge carrying westbound traffic out of Southampton over Test Lane, the railway and the River Test. Due to its age, the harsh marine environment and the large volumes of traffic that use this bridge it now requires essential repairs to the joints and concrete supports. The viaduct is 270 metres long and is supported on nine reinforced concrete piers and 106 columns.
The first phase of the bridge works are now drawing to a close; 21 carriageway expansion joints and the longitudinal joint, that runs the entire length of the bridge, have been replaced. These joints were leaking and causing water to run down the supports and columns underneath the viaduct. Work to replace the footway joints is programmed for August 2018.
Phases 2 and 3 of the project are to repair the concrete supports underneath the bridge in order to extend the life of the structure.
- Where the work is taking place
View map of where the work is taking place.
- When the work is taking place
The nature of the works make them highly weather dependant and a decision whether to go ahead with the works will be made in the days preceding each of the dates below.
Phase 1 Footway Joints – August/September 2018
The southern footway joints will be replaced between the end of August and the beginning of September 2018. In order to ensure the safety of the traveling public and our operatives on site, as well as the quality of the work, the footway will need to be closed for the duration of the work, and the A35 Westbound carriageway will require a lane closure across the bridge. The closure times and dates are listed below.
A35 Westbound FOOTWAY closed:
- From 8pm on Wednesday 29 August 2018 until 5am on Monday 3 September 2018.
A35 Westbound CARRIAGEWAY LANE 1 closed:
- From 8pm on Wednesday 29 August 2018 until 5am on Thursday 30 August 2018 (overnight closure)
- From 8pm on Thursday 30 August 2018 until 5am on Friday 31 August 2018 (overnight closure)
- From 8pm on Friday 31 August 2018 until 5am on Monday 3 September 2018 (weekend closure)
Phases 2 and 3 – Summer 2019
Phases 2 and 3 of the project are to repair the concrete supports underneath the bridge in order to extend the life of the structure. This work is programmed to commence in Summer 2019 for approximately 12 months.
- Diversion routes
The southern footway will be closed during the Phase 1 works. A signed pedestrian and cyclist diversion route will be in place, which will use the northern footway.
- Name Highways Bridges
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 0300 555 1388 (0300 555 1390: Minicom)
Economy, Transport and Environment Department
Hampshire County Council