Andover: Town Mill and Bridge Street accessibility and environmental improvements
Last update: March 2020
- Latest updates
Hampshire County Council is directing all available highways resources to emergency and safety related work on the road network during the Coronavirus outbreak.
The County Council is working with contractors to ensure that Town Mill site is made safe as soon as possible.
- Scheme overview
Works are now delayed as SGN are unable to complete the gas works, the workforce are demobilising and focusing on emergency works only, but they will return back at a later date. Due to this, Colas are unable to progress with the works to the car park access at Western Avenue but will complete as much of the work as possible. Colas will demobilise and make safe the area and the works to complete the car park access will be undertaken in the near future.
Hampshire County Council, working in partnership with Test Valley Borough Council, has appointed Colas Ltd who will be undertaking phase one of the two phase Town Mill improvement works. The project will enhance the existing pedestrian corridor, provide greater access and connectivity to key locations in the town. The route will run from Andover train station to the town centre, through to Town Mill via Bridge Street/Town Mill Road/Chantry Shopping Centre.
Improvements to pedestrian access along Town Mill and the park to encourage more people to travel sustainably into the town centre. The proposed public realm improvements will enhance the environment and help support the local economy.
The overall scheme will consist of:
- The construction of a new access to the Town Mills car park from the A3057 Western Avenue, which will allow the current access off Bridge Street to be physically closed to traffic and enhanced to allow access for pedestrians and cyclists;
- The existing footpath through the Pocket Park will be widened and a new path will be constructed through the park from the A3057;
- New benches, will be provided throughout the area to create more seating for people visiting the park;
- The use of York stone paving and other high-quality materials will enhance the area adjacent to the River Anton and and the footpath adjacent to the river will be widened.
The work will be undertaken in two phases and the first phase started on 29 January 2020 and completion date to be determined. Please view the location plan here.
- Public consultation
The consultation is now closed and a summary of the feedback can be seen by clicking the link below. The comments received during the consultation period will now be analysed further and used to influence the final scheme.
- Download plan
- Town Mills Bridge Street accessibility and environment improvements
- Contact us
- Name Strategic Transport
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 0300 555 1388 (0300 555 1390: Minicom)
Economy, Transport and Environment Department
Hampshire County Council