Romsey town centre improvements: Market Place
Improvements for Market Place, Romsey
Last update: January 2023
- Latest updates
Hampshire County Council has completed the third phase of improvements to Romsey’s historic town centre. These works have been designed to enhance the environment and support the economic viability of Romsey’s historic town centre - while improving accessibility for all who come to the town. The Market Place works were the third and largest part of an overall enhancement project for Romsey Town Centre. Please view the opening of Market Place.
- Scheme overview
Hampshire County Council appointed Knights Brown to complete the last phase of improvement works at Market Place in Romsey. Work commenced on 7 January 2019 and completed in summer 2019. The improvement scheme has been designed to create a safer environment for all road users including pedestrians and cyclists.
It consists of the following elements:
- Upgrade to Market Place with the large piazza style build out that encompasses the Lord Palmerston Statue within the middle of Market Place to provide a new space for public events;
- Materials that are complimentary to the historic town centre, including York paving;
- Enhanced street furniture and reduced clutter;
- Improved environment / experience for cyclists.
The main element of the upgrade to Market Place, which have taken around six months to complete, is the large piazza style build out that encompasses the Lord Palmerston Statue within the middle of Market Place to provide a new space for public events.
Materials were used that are complementary to the historic town centre, including York paving. The scheme aims to create a safer environment for all road users including pedestrians and cyclists by reducing traffic speed and making the area more attractive for those who live, work and shop there.
Hampshire County Council worked with Test Valley Borough Council to make Romsey town centre more accessible to pedestrians and cyclists, reduce traffic speeds and make the area more attractive for all who live, work and shop there. The improvements will provide residents, as well as the many visitors to the area, with a fresh looking town centre that will be easier to navigate on foot, while in keeping with the town's historic character. The enhancements will also support the future vitality of this thriving market town. The enhancements are comprised of three phases:
- Church Street (complete);
- Bell Street (complete);
- Market Place (complete).
- Drop in event
- Please see the exhibition plans that was presented at 'meet the contractor' event which was held on Wednesday 28 November between 5pm - 7pm at Romsey Town Hall.
- Download plans
- Contact us
- Name Highways, Engineering and Transport
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 0300 555 1388
Hampshire County Council