Scratchface Lane (west) pedestrian and cycle improvements
Last update: December 2020
- Latest updates
Hampshire County Council has appointed Colas Ltd to undertake bridleway, pedestrian and cycling improvement works on Scratchface Lane (West). These works will help improve links between Havant to Waterlooville and Havant College to South Downs College.
The scheme will include;
- Reconstruction and surfacing on Scratchface Lane, (Havant Bridleway 28);
- Construction of an off-road cycle link from Newbarn Road / Hulbert Road (B2150) up to the junction on Willowdene Close / Hulbert Road;
- Installation of cycle signs and road markings along Scratchface Lane and Newbarn Road;
- Installation of shared footway / cycle signs on the western side footway on Hulbert Road between Newbarn Road and Willowdene Close;
- Re-planting works will be undertaken to encourage natural habitat, growth and development of the local and protected species in the area.
The works are planned to commence on site on 6 January 2021 for a duration of approximately 12 weeks. The hours of working will be 7am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. During these works, please expect some disruption in the local area and there will be a requirement to close the bridleway with advanced local signed diversion in place.
- Scheme overview
The proposed shared use will provide a safe link for pedestrians, equestrians and cyclists, which may reduce short journeys made by motorised vehicles as a suitable alternative.
It consists of the following improvements;
- To improve the pedestrian, equestrian and cycling provision along the route of Scratchface Lane, including the link to the Purbrook Way (locally known as the Asda) roundabout. Scratchface Lane forms an off road east to west link from Havant to Crookhorn and Waterlooville. Restoring the bridleway/cycleway by widening the rural footpath to 2.4m with wooden edgings and tarmac with concrete edgings for the entire length.
- Upgrading the path with edgings and surfacing treatment from Hillmead Gardens to the west of the footbridge and minor surface repairs and drainage improvements on the rest of the rural path up to College Road. There will also be signing and marking works along the route.
- Hillmead Gardens to the west of the A3(M) bridleway bridge is a combination of footway to be overlaid with surface coarse as a binder and permeable paving.
- West of the A3(M) bridleway bridge, parallel to the A3(M) and onwards through the woodlands to College Road, the rural footway to be overlaid with surface coarse as a binder. The extent of the scheme is from Hillmead Gardens to College Road and the bridleway conforms to right of way status.
Re-planting works will be undertaken to encourage natural habitat, growth and development of the local and protected species in the area. It will enrich the local environment and improve air quality.
Works start date to be determined.
- View the plan
Scratchface Lane location plan
- Contact us
- Name Strategic Transport
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 0300 555 1388
Economy, Transport and Environment Department
Hampshire County Council