Wales Street Zebra Crossing
Wales Street crossing improvements
Last update: August 2019
- Latest updates
Hampshire County Council has appointed Colas Ltd to install a new zebra crossing and to carry out resurfacing works on Wales Street in Winchester. The works started on 29 July 2019 during the school summer holidays outside the ‘First In Last Out’ public house.
The creation of this new crossing will make it safer for pedestrians to cross at this point, and easier for people to walk to and from local services, schools and the city centre and leave the car behind for short trips. Resurfacing the road will make it more resilient to the impact of heavy traffic and weather.
To ensure the works are completed as quickly as possible, as well as ensuring the safety of road users and the workforce, we will need to temporarily and periodically close the road entirely or to restrict traffic movements such as by using temporary traffic lights.
- From Monday 29 July 2019 to Friday 16 August – The start of the works will see pavement improvements and beacons for the zebra crossing installed. To safely accommodate this, the road will remain open, but a lane closure will be in place from Monday – Friday controlled by temporary traffic lights during off peak hours, 9.30am-4pm;
- From 17- 19 August - A full closure of the road will be in place from 7am on Saturday 17 August until 6am on Monday 19 August so the road can be resurfaced. A local fully signed diversion will be in place;
- From Monday 19 August to Tuesday 20 August – The road will be closed for one night from 8pm to 6am to allow for road markings to be repainted on the newly surfaced road. A local fully signed diversion will be in place.
Please view the diversion route here.
For the duration of the works a parking suspension will be in place at the layby adjacent to the ‘First In Last Out’ pub, as well as the entire parking bay on Ebden Road between the Wales Street and Moss Road junctions.
- Scheme overview
A new Zebra crossing will be installed outside the First in Last Out public house and the existing carriageway will be resurfaced on either approach to the new zebra crossing.
- View the plans
- Wales Street Zebra crossing technical plan
- Contact us
- Name Strategic Transport
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 0300 555 1388 (0300 555 1390: Minicom)
Economy, Transport and Environment Department
Hampshire County Council