Wheels to Work Scheme

Accessing your employment potential
A moped loan scheme for people aged 16 or over living in the districts of East Hampshire, Test Valley, Winchester and New Forest

Wheels to Work logo
Who the scheme is for

If you’re aged between 16 - 25 and live in Test Valley or New Forest, or 16 and over and live in Winchester or East Hampshire and

  • you do not have access to your own private or public transport
  • you need to get to work, training, an apprenticeship or interview

Then Wheels to Work could help you to access your employment potential.

The Council can loan you a moped for three months to a year, which will help you get to and from your job, training or job interviews.

Robert - Wheels to workWe had a cup of tea and a chat with Robert, who previously rented a moped on the scheme. He used it to get to his job at Premier Inn. He told us a bit more about how it works and how it helped him out.

Listen to Robert's experience:

What's included
  • A 50cc, 100cc or electric moped, fully taxed and insured
  • Full break down and service cover
  • Helmet provided free of charge 
  • Gloves and jacket provided for a nominal contribution
Obtaining a licence

You must have at least a provisional licence for motorbikes, which you can obtain by applying via GOV.UK. You will need to have passed your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). If you haven't already passed your CBT we can arrange this for you and even cover the cost of this.

Costs to hire a moped

Hire charges range from £20 to £23 per week.

Contact us

The scheme is operated by Communities First Wessex.

Their Wheels to Work co-ordinator can explain more about the scheme and provide you with an application form:

New Forest and Test Valley districts 

Winchester and East Hampshire districts

Alternatively you can also contact us at Hampshire County Council

Ideally you would need to make sure that there is someone who knows you professionally, (anyone supporting you in work, your job search or training) who can provide a reference to your application.

This could be your manager or someone from the Youth Service or Job Centre. Ask our Wheels to Work Co-ordinator for more information on who would be suitable if you are not sure.

Funded by

Hampshire County Council, East Hampshire District Council and New Forest District Council logos

Supported by the Department for Transport's Local Sustainable Transport Fund