Changes to services
New charges and changes to opening times at household waste recycling centres
- From 1 October 2016: charges for soil, rubble, plasterboard and asbestos
From 1 October 2016 the following new charges will apply:
- soil and rubble: £2.50 per part or whole standard rubble bag, and £2.50 per individual item (for example, sanitary units such as wash basin, pedestal, toilet bowl, and cistern)
- plasterboard: £6 per standard rubble bag or part bag, or £10 per sheet or part sheet, maximum size 3000 x 1200mm
- cement-bonded asbestos: £12 per sheet or part sheet, maximum size 1200 x 600mm
Standard rubble bags are up to a maximum size of 535 x 820mm (when laid flat), filled so that the waste is contained and can be safely lifted.
Cash and card payment options are available at all HWRCs.
Soil and rubble is accepted at all HWRCs except New Alresford. Plasterboard is accepted at every HWRC.
Soil and rubble includes construction and demolition materials such as stone, rubble, clay, concrete, bricks, blocks, sand, tiles, paving slabs, and ceramic bathroom suites. There will be no charge for crockery or clay/terracotta flower pots.
Cement-bonded asbestos will continue to be accepted at Andover, Basingstoke, Efford, Netley and Portsmouth HWRCs. Other types of asbestos are not accepted.
- From 1 October 2016: trade waste service at most HWRCs
From 1 October 2016 we will offer a new trade waste service to small businesses. Costs for the trade waste service will be published on the website when available.
The majority of HWRC sites now offer the service, with the exception of Efford.
- Update to proposed reductions in opening hours and Thursday closures
Previously approved reductions to opening hours and Thursday closures will not be introduced from 1 October 2017. For further information on the reasons for the cancellation, please read the report.