Changes to services
New charges and changes to opening times at household waste recycling centres
- From 1 October 2016: charges for soil, rubble, plasterboard and asbestos
From 1 October 2016 the following new charges will apply:
- soil and rubble: £2.50 per part or whole standard rubble bag, and £2.50 per individual item (for example, sanitary units such as wash basin, pedestal, toilet bowl, and cistern).
- plasterboard: £6 per bag or £10 per sheet
- cement-bonded asbestos: £12 per sheet
Cash and card payment options are available at all HWRCs.
Soil and rubble is accepted at all HWRCs except New Alresford. Plasterboard is accepted at every HWRC.
Soil and rubble includes construction and demolition materials such as stone, rubble, clay, concrete, bricks, blocks, sand, tiles, paving slabs, and ceramic bathroom suites. There will be no charge for crockery or clay/terracotta flower pots. The limit of six bags of soil and rubble per household per month will be lifted.
Cement-bonded asbestos will continue to be accepted at Andover, Basingstoke, Efford, Netley and Portsmouth HWRCs. Other types of asbestos are not accepted.
- From 1 October 2016: trade waste service at most HWRCs
From 1 October 2016 we will offer a new trade waste service to small businesses. Costs for the trade waste service will be published on the website when available.
The majority of HWRC sites now offer the service, with the exception of Efford.
- From October 2017: later opening time
From October 2017 all HWRCs will open at 11am.
- From October 2017: HWRCs close on Thursdays
From October 2017 all HWRCs will be closed on Thursdays every week.