Check if your vehicle needs a permit

Check whether your vehicle requires a permit to access Hampshire's HWRCs

Car or 4x4

Cars and 4x4s do not require a permit to access HWRCs.

Vehicle with trailer

Cars towing trailers of 1.8m (approx 6ft) or less can access sites without a permit.

If you use a trailer between 1.8m and 3.0m (approx 6ft and 10ft) in length you will need to apply for a permit to access HWRCs.

Trailers over 3.0m (approx 10ft) are not permitted access to HWRCs.

The measurements above apply to the actual trailer 'box' area only, and do not include the towbar or any other attachments.

Where a commercial-type vehicle (such as a van or pick-up) is the only towing vehicle available for a trailer, then the vehicle itself is permitted to access the site without a permit provided it does not carry any waste. It is not permitted for a householder to hold permits for a commercial-type vehicle and a trailer at the same time.

Towed trailers cannot be taken into the New Alresford Household Waste Recycling Centre


Hired van

Householders who have hired a van for three days or fewer to dispose of their own household waste do not require a permit.

Householders should bring the van hire agreement with them and present it to site staff on arrival.

Van, pick-up or light goods vehicle

If you use a commercial-type vehicle (a van or pick-up) to dispose of your household waste you will need to apply for a permit.

Commercial-type vehicles are defined as a vehicle with one or more of the following features: 

  • no rear windows
  • no rear side windows and/or panels in place of rear side windows
  • no rear seats
  • an open back, or a back which is separate to the main cab such as a closed cab pick-up

Vehicles weighing more than 3.5 tonnes are not permitted access to HWRCs.


Horseboxes are not permitted access to HWRCs.

Light goods vehicle

Any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes in weight is not permitted access to HWRCs.

Blue Badge holders

Blue badge holders do not require a permit to dispose of their household waste.