Would you like to meet new people, learn new skills and share your knowledge with your local community
If so, Hampshire County Council are looking for volunteer ‘champions’ to help spread messages about how people can save money by throwing away less food and successfully making compost at home.
Champions will be involved in passing on tips and advice to help local residents make the most of the food they buy, in turn helping to reduce the amount of waste disposed of in the county.
- Could you be a community champion?
The type of activities you could be involved in as a champion are:
- giving talks to interested groups, such as community groups, students and businesses
- identifying and attend suitable local events to promote food and garden tips and advice
- leading groups in activities to show how they can reduce food waste through smart shopping, meal planning, storage and using leftovers in new recipes
- demonstrating how to make compost
- contributing to articles for websites, community newsletters and the local press
If you are comfortable speaking to groups of people from all backgrounds and believe that you could use your enthusiasm to help change their habits, this could be a great opportunity for you.
Volunteers will be asked to commit around 30 hours over a year, which could include some evenings and weekends. An interest in food and/or prior experience of home composting would be helpful but not necessary as full training will be given. You will be supported by staff and other volunteers.
Applicable travel expenses will be paid and volunteering can be a rewarding way to learn new skills, gain confidence and obtain references to help with further career development.
- How to apply
For more information email email@example.com, or call Zoe Cooke on 01962 832286 or Beth Richards on 01962 845595.
Or complete the application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request a talk from our champions
Community champions want to help you reduce your food waste and get the hang of home composting.
To request a talk for a local group or event, email email@example.com
- Post a question to our champions
Confused by composting? Puzzled by portion sizes? Ask our champions a question: