Wheels to Work Scheme
Accessing your employment potential
A moped loan scheme for people aged 16 or over living in the districts of East Hampshire, Test Valley, Winchester and New Forest
- Who the scheme is for
If you’re aged between 16 - 25 and live in Test Valley or New Forest, or 16 and over and live in Winchester or East Hampshire and
- you do not have access to your own private or public transport
- you need to get to work, training, an apprenticeship or interview
Then Wheels to Work could help you to access your employment potential.
The Council can loan you a moped for three months to a year, which will help you get to and from your job, training or job interviews.
We had a cup of tea and a chat with Robert, who's renting a moped on the scheme at the moment. He uses it to get to his job at Premier Inn. He told us a bit more about how it works and how it's helped him out.
Listen to Robert's experience:
- What's included
- A 50cc or 110cc moped, fully taxed and insured
- Full break down and service cover
- Helmet provided free of charge
- Gloves and jacket provided for a nominal contribution
- Obtaining a licence
You must have at least a provisional licence for motorbikes, which you can obtain by applying via GOV.UK. You will need to have passed your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). If you haven't already passed your CBT we can arrange this for you and even cover the cost of this.
- Costs to hire a moped
- To loan a 50cc moped from us costs £18 per week if you are under 21 and £18.50 if you are over 21
- To loan a 110cc moped from us (for longer journeys) costs £20 per week if you are under 21 and £21 if you are over 21
- Contact us
The scheme is operated by Community First New Forest.
Their Wheels to Work co-ordinator can explain more about the scheme and provide you with an application form:
New Forest and Test Valley districts
- Mobile: 07896 218046
- Landline: 01425 482773
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winchester and East Hampshire districts
- Mobile: 07896 212198
- Landline: 01425 482773
- Email: email@example.com
Alternatively you can also contact us at Hampshire County Council
- Tel: 01962 846785
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ideally you would need to make sure that there is someone who knows you professionally, (anyone supporting you in work, your job search or training) who can provide a reference to your application.
This could be your manager or someone from the Youth Service or Job Centre. Ask our Wheels to Work Co-ordinator for more information on who would be suitable if you are not sure.
Supported by the Department for Transport's Local Sustainable Transport Fund