Privacy Notice

I am an elected Member for Hampshire County Council. Details of the division I represent, and my contact details can be found on the Member’s homepage of the County Council website.

I am committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.

As part of my work in the community I will contact officers of the Council and other organisations on your behalf to investigate your concerns and respond to your enquiries.

What type of personal information do I collect?

When I carry out constituency work for you, it may be necessary for me to receive and use your personal information to help you. This might include the following information about you:

  • name
  • address
  • contact details
  • photographs
  • your National Insurance number
  • your date of birth
  • your signature
  • details of family members

Where relevant I may receive and use special category information such as information about your racial or ethnic origin, your political opinions, your religious or philosophical beliefs or information concerning your health or medical needs.

How I collect your personal information

I may collect information from you in a variety of ways, for example:

  • when we meet in the community or at my surgeries
  • when you telephone me
  • when you send me letters or emails

My lawful basis for collecting and using this information

It is necessary for me to have a lawful basis for collecting and using your personal information.

When I collect or use your personal information it would be because you have given me consent to do so or because it is necessary:

  • for legitimate interests as described above (such as dealing with resident issues or complaints)
  • to protect your vital interests, such as a life or death situation or to protect you from harm, or to protect the vital interests of another person

When I collect special category information about you (for example details of a health condition), I will collect it because:

  • it is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest (I will need to use your information in order to deal with the issue that you have raised with me)
  • it is necessary to protect your (or someone else’s) vital interests and you (or they) are unable to give consent
  • it is necessary to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim
  • you have given me informed consent to do so (this will usually be in writing)

Where you have given consent to use your personal information you can withdraw this at any time by contacting me.

What will your personal information be used for:

  • to investigate and respond to your request for advice, guidance or information
  • to investigate or respond to an enquiry or complaint you have contacted me about

Will your personal information be shared?

In some cases, in order me to deal with your specific issues I may have to share your information with other organisations such as local authority councillors, local authority officers, parish councils, central government departments, MPs the NHS and emergency services, schools or voluntary organisations.

I have published an Appropriate Policy Document that is available from my Hampshire County Council web page. This outlines where I may need to share your information or receive information from a third party in order to deal with an issue that you have raised with me in accordance with the provisions of Schedule 1 Part 2, clauses 23 and 24 of the Data Protection Act 2018.

How long will I keep your personal information?

In order to keep track of your case, I will have to hold on to your information. Usually, this will be for 6 years, but it might vary depending on the type of issue.

Any information I hold at the end of my term in office will be either passed to the appropriate council representative or securely destroyed.

Your information rights

Subject to some legal exemptions, you have the following information rights as an individual in respect of the information I hold about you.

  • To have inaccuracies corrected
  • To have your personal information erased
  • To place a restriction on my processing of your personal information
  • To object to processing and
  • To request your data to be transmitted (data portability)
  • To request a copy of your information

If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact me and I will consider your request. I may not be able to put your request into effect if the information is subject to a legal exemption.

The Information Commissioner gives advice and guidance to anyone who wishes to find out more about data protection.

If you have a concern about the way I collect or use your personal data, please your concern with me in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office or you can call their telephone helpline – 0303 123 1113.