Support from charities

Support from charities, government and other supporting organisations

Service directories
General advice and support
Children and families
  • Army Families Federation -  Support, information and guidance to individuals and Army communities
  • Naval Families Federation - Have your views heard, feel valued and be treated with fairness and respect
  • Royal Air Force Families Federation - Support, assistance and an independent voice regarding issues or concerns
  • Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen's Families Association (SSAFA) - UK national tri-service military charity. For those who serve, have served or are family members of the armed forces. This includes reserves who did their national service and their dependents
  • Reading Force - a reading scheme for forces family and friends. Taking part is free, fun and easy
  • Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS) - Tri-Service organisation funded by the MOD. Provides information and support to Service families and eligible MOD civilians on all aspects of the education of their children in the UK and overseas
  • Joining Forces for Families: Citizens Advice - North East Hampshire and Portsmouth  Project (funded by the Armed Forces Covenant Fund) for service families needing support and advice, help with everyday problems such as Housing matters, Money and managing debt, Family relationships. or phone: 01252 749265
  • Little Troopers - registered charity supporting all children with one or both parents serving in the British Armed Forces, regular or reserve which provides  fundamental resources, initiatives and events to ease and aid repeated separation periods aiming to keep parent and child connected and bonded even when miles apart
  • Mike Jackson House - supported housing for single veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and who have support needs. Veterans are referred to Mike Jackson House via SPACES (Single Persons’ Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services)
  • England Shelter - armed service leavers and former members may be entitled to extra help if they become homeless
  • Joint Service Housing Advice - JSHAO information leaflets for service personnel and their dependants regarding civilian housing options
  • Alabare - offer housing and support to ex-Service personnel who are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless
  • Agamemnon Housing Association - sheltered housing for people over 60 years of age, giving priority to those who have served in the Armed Forces and their surviving partners or relatives
  • Stoll Housing - accommodation for ex serving Personnel. Providing a safe environment for vulnerable and disabled veterans in need of support and living accommodation
Working and resettling
  • Careers Transition Partnership (CTP) - advice and support when leaving the Armed Forces to find your new career
  • Job Centre Plus
  • Service Leavers Pack
  • CivvyStreet - the Royal British Legion’s employability programme for the Service community in civilian life
  • Return to Starboard - Turn to Starboard uses sail training to support Armed Forces personnel affected by military operations. They help serving and retired individuals and their families with the focus on resettlement, reintegration and reinforcing a sense of value and belonging
Health and welfare