Free school meals for pupils up to 16 years old
Eligibility for free school meals depends on the circumstances of the parents or carers
School uniform grants
- Hampshire County Council is unable to provide money to help with your child’s uniform
- Speak to your child’s school if you are having difficulties buying the right uniform. They may be able to help.
- Free school meals criteria
A child is eligible for free school meals if their parent or carer receives one or more of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Job Seekers' Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit, and have an annual gross income, of no more than £16,190 as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (Parents who are made redundant or start working less that 16 hours per week, may find their children are entitled to free meals for a limited period.)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
No other benefits qualify for free school meals from Key Stage 2 (years 4, 5, 6) or for the pupil premium for Key Stage 1 (years 1, 2, 3).
- Check eligibility for pupil premium and free school meals
To check your child's eligibility for pupil premium or continued free school meals (from Key Stage 2), use the online checking facility
To complete a check you need the following information for yourself or the person you are checking on behalf of:
- your own name, date of birth, and contact details
- National Insurance number or National Asylum Seekers number
- child's name and date of birth
- school your child is attending or will attend
Please contact your school or college if you have any queries about free school meals.