About the opportunity
Sir Harold Hillier Gardens have a world renowned botanical collection within 180 acres situated near Romsey and is a registered charity. Originally the private garden of Sir Harold Hillier and his family they were given in trust to Hampshire County Council in 1977. Our Volunteer Scheme has been in place for over 20 years
Tasks and duties
Assisting the Visitor Services staff at the Visitors’ Pavilion
- welcoming Members to the Gardens and “fast tracking” them through the entrance
- checking Membership cards and issuing stickers
- recording the number of Members and Children admitted via the fast track system
- handing out information maps and literature
- preparing Membership Packs for staff to issue
- some ad hoc tasks as requested by the VEP Supervisors
- Volunteers will be given a full induction prior to a starting date.
- Full training will be given and an opportunity to “shadow” an experienced Volunteer before starting.
- There is also an opportunity to participate in various workshops and regular Volunteer meetings
This is an on-going opportunity when there is availability. When hours have been agreed there will be an expectation for commitment to punctually attend your shift.
Shifts are daily (including weekends) either from 10am to 12.30pm or 12.30pm to 3.30pm. They are arranged in advance on a 3 monthly rota basis.
What we are looking for
- Good interpersonal skills enabling you to talk to visitors in a friendly manner
- Ability to be calm and patient during busy periods
- Willingness to learn information about the Sir Harold Hillier Gardens and current and future events
- Previous experience of customer service skills an advantage
Sir Harold Hillier Gardens Sir Harold Hillier Gardens Ampfield Nr. Romsey SO51 0QA
How to apply
To find out more contact the Volunteer Coordinator on 01794 369305