About the opportunity
The Summer Reading Challenge is a national scheme provided by the Reading Agency and delivered for free throughout Hampshire’s libraries. It is designed for children aged 4-11 with the aim to keep them reading during the school holidays.
You will be working with children, their parents and carers.
Tasks and duties
- You will explain how to take part and register children with the scheme.
- You will talk to them about the books they have read, encouraging them to share their views and hand out reading rewards such as stickers and medals.
- You will assist with general administration and help customers by referring enquiries to relevant members of staff.
Volunteers have an induction session to complete before they start.
The Summer Reading Challenge is an annual scheme running from mid July to mid September.
Days and hours required will depend on the opening hours of your local library.
Who we are looking for
- be enthusiastic about reading
- possess good interpersonal skills enabling you to talk and listen to young children in a friendly and patient way
- remain calm at busy times but cope when things are quieter