Becoming a registered childminder in Hampshire

Thinking about working with children? It can be a challenging job but also hugely varied, rewarding and fun so we think you've made a fantastic choice! A registered childminder is a person who looks after one or more children for more than a total of two hours a day in their own home, for reward.

The Government has announced that there is a start-up grant for new childminders (or those wanting to register through an agency). See the latest information: Childminder grants scheme update: April 2023
The benefits of becoming a registered childminder

  • Job satisfaction that comes with having a positive impact on the learning and development of young children
  • Working for yourself alongside meeting the needs of your family commitments
  • Flexibility - you can set your own working hours and decide how many children you look after
  • You are your own boss and can set your own rates of pay
  • Professional status with the opportunity to gain recognised qualifications and develop skills as part of continued professional development
  • Sustainability - offering funded free early years education places to eligible 2-, 3- and 4-year-olds
  • No childcare costs and no commuting to a place of work costs

What you need to know to become a registered childminder

The registration process can take between three and six months.

To find out about the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted) and the registration process for childminders see their presentation and dedicated Facebook page.

Before you apply to Ofsted to register as a childminder, you need to consider several requirements to be Ofsted compliant and to provide a quality service.

If you would like to ask specific questions by actively participating in a live online webinar of ‘Becoming a Childminder in Hampshire’ please sign up to a forthcoming event:

Alternatively, to access the Services for Young Children (SfYC) 'Becoming a Childminder in Hampshire' audio webinar, which provides an overview of what is required to become registered and work from home as a childminder, you will need access to the SfYC Moodle. To request a Moodle account, select the online form titled, 'click here to reset your password or request an account'.

Please note, this is a briefing not a training course and has no qualification attached.

What you need to do to become a registered childminder

  • First Aid - before registering with Ofsted you must hold a suitable Paediatric First Aid qualification, as stated in EYFS framework (page 22, section 3.25). If you employ childminding assistants who may be in sole charge, they must also meet this requirement. There are a number of course providers including the Early Years Alliance (in partnership with St John Ambulance)
  • Safeguarding - as the lead practitioner you must attend a child protection course that enables you to identify, understand and respond appropriately to signs of possible abuse and neglect. The course content must meet the requirements as stated in the EYFS framework (page 17, section 3.6). For further information, refer to the Hampshire Safeguarding Children's Partnership (LSCP) training programme
  • Basic child protection/safeguarding online learning courses are also available from the National Day Nurseries Association
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) - before submitting an application to Ofsted you must complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. This applies to everyone who lives or works in the premises. You may also want to join the DBS update service to maintain a valid check. It is also important to update Ofsted if you have people living (or working, e.g., weekly cleaner) aged 16 or over in your house when you are looking after children
  • You need to complete and submit a health declaration form
  • You must hold a current Public Liability insurance policy before working with children
  • … You may also want to consider undertaking a Level 2 or 3 Childcare Course. There are many colleges and training companies delivering face to face and online courses, either paid for or free. For example, Think Employment or PACEY.

What comes next

  • Register online as a childminder
  • An Ofsted inspector will visit your home to check whether it is suitable, safe and ready to take children. When you receive your Ofsted registration certificate your childminding career can start
  • As a newly registered childminder you may also like to access the SfYC You Are Now a Registered Childminder webinar on the SfYC Moodle site to help plan your next steps.

Early Years Education (EYE) funding

Eligible 2-year-olds and all 3- and 4-year-olds are entitled to a free funded early years education (EYE). Families can access the free early years place with any approved early years setting. These include school nursery classes, day nurseries, pre-schools and childminders.

To provide Early Years Education services in Hampshire and receive the associated funding, childcare providers need to be:

  • registered with the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted), and
  • approved by Services for Young Children (SfYC) on behalf of Hampshire County Council.

To join the Early Years Education funding scheme new childminders must complete the approval process. Contact the SfYC office for more information. Further information about the Early Years Education funding scheme.

Further information
I strongly believe that childminding is a fantastic profession, it’s extremely rewarding.
Childminder (with assistants) operating in the Hart district
Flexibility is key with your (childminding) profession; many grateful families benefit from that.”
Professional parent working in the south of Hampshire