Apply for a brown tourist sign

Tourist signs help to safely guide road users to an attraction using the most appropriate route

Tourism plays an important role in Hampshire’s economy, and we are very keen to support the industry. However, we have to balance this against our responsibilities for road safety, traffic management and the environment, so we will take care not to overload the roads with unnecessary signs.

Who can apply

Attractions and excursion destinations

Theme parks, Historic properties and castles, Historic churches , abbeys and cathedrals, Ancient monuments, museums and galleries, Parks and gardens, Nature reserves, zoos and safari parks, Natural attractions, including areas of special interest beaches and viewpoints, Leisure complexes, Equestrian centres, Pottery and craft centres and Vineyards.

Visitor facilities

Hotels, guest houses, bed and breakfast and other forms of serviced accommodation, Holiday centres, Camping and caravan sites, Youth hostels, Restaurants, cafes and pubs, Cinemas, theatres and concert venues, Arts facilities, Sports venues, Tourist information centres and points, Shops, Picnic sites and Tours and leisure drives and cycle routes.

Tourism signage is not for advertising, but to help visitors from outside the local area find facilities easily and safely.


Charges apply for the provision of tourist signage.

If you make an enquiry we will tell you if your establishment is eligible for tourist direction signs. We can then give an estimate of the costs involved.

Enquiry Charges
Preliminary enquiry £280 non-returnable
Provision of signs including manufacture, supply and erection Actual cost varies according to number and size of signs and number of posts required
Administration including signing scheme design and documentation 20% of the work cost subject to £50 minimum charge
Supervision including ordering work and inspection 10% of the work cost subject to £50 minimum charge
Maintenance including cleaning and removal if no longer required  10% of the work cost subject to £50 minimum charge 
Replacement Actual cost plus supervision fees
Using other contractors

You can get a quote from another contractor and nominate them to carry out any signing work. Contractors must be approved by the County Council.

All work must follow:

  • health and safety regulations
  • British and European Standards
  • codes of practice

Work must meet any extra requirements of the Director of Economy, Transport & Environment, or Highways England.

Supervision and maintenance fees still apply if you arrange signing independently. There is also a fee for a traffic management audit of 5% or a minimum £25.

If the County Council or its contractors carry out the work VAT is not applicable.


Contact the County Council’s Traffic Management Group for further details:

  • phone 0300 555 1388
  • email [email protected]
  • post to Traffic Management Group
    Universal Services Department
    Elizabeth II Court
    The Castle
    SO23 8UJ

Apply for brown tourist signs on motorways or A roads managed by Highways England.