Driver Skills Scheme 60+
A confidential skills appraisal for drivers aged over 60
- Who should have an appraisal
Driving is the most dangerous activity that most people take part in. A slight increase in awareness or improvement in skills is all it takes to make you safer.
Mature drivers generally have fewer accidents than young drivers. However, as people grow older gradual changes take place which mean their ability to deal safely with some situations diminishes.
A professional driving assessor can identify any risk in someone’s driving and help to correct it. Our aim is to help people stay safe on the road for as long as possible.
- Who can attend
This scheme is for Hampshire residents aged 60 years and over.
It can help them to:
- update their skills and knowledge
- adapt to a new vehicle
- gain confidence
- What happens on an appraisal
An experienced assessor will:
- check your licence and your driver vision
- ask you if you have any particular aims for the session
- sit with you whilst you drive on roads in your locality
- offer advice, where necessary, on how current safety levels can be enhanced
- fill in a confidential and comprehensive report
- Where it takes place
The appraisal takes place from the person’s home, using their own car on roads they know.
The appraisal costs £45 and lasts around one and a half hours.
- How to book
To request a driving appraisal, or for some free advice with no commitment, please call 01962 846100 or email email@example.com
However, you can pay online for an appraisal and the Road Safety Team will contact you to book the date and time.
- Other help and advice
Free driver awareness workshops for motorists aged 60 and over
We are holding Drivers Skills Scheme 60+ workshops on the following dates and locations:
- Wednesday 22 May 2019, 6.30pm to 9pm, Hampshire County Council Offices, EII Court South, The Castle, Winchester, SO23 8UJ
The workshops are free to attend, and will focus on how to stay safe and independent. They will raise awareness of the Highway Code and Driving Licence regulations, and address driving with medical conditions.
To reserve your place call 01962 846100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are part of the Older Drivers Forum. A non-profit organisation aimed at keeping mature motorists on the road safely for longer. The forum provides information, advice and points drivers in the right direction for an assessment to identify their driving needs.