Driver Skills Scheme 60+
A confidential skills appraisal for drivers aged over 60
This scheme is for Hampshire residents aged 60 years and over. If you are under 60 but would like to know about our other driver training and assessment courses please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- What can you gain from a driving appraisal?
Mature drivers generally have fewer accidents than young drivers. However, as people grow older gradual changes take place which mean their ability to deal safely with some situations diminishes. It is important to enter older age with as many good, safe driving habits as possible.
A professional driving assessor can identify any risks in someone’s driving and help to correct them which, in turn, can help to increase confidence. We recognise that the rate of age-related changes is not the same for everyone. It depends on physical fitness, cognitive fitness, health conditions, eyesight and various other factors.
We can help you to:
- Recognise how you need to adapt to any age-related changes in accident risk levels.
- Recognise whether you need to contact other professionals, such as a doctor or optician, if your concerns may possibly be health related.
- Understand your legal obligations, such as DVLA rules regarding licencing.
- Compensate for age related skill reductions by changing when and where you drive, and if it becomes necessary, to retire from driving.
- What happens on an appraisal?
We will make an appointment for one of our experienced assessors to visit you at home and sit with you on a typical journey in your own vehicle. They will then issue you with a comprehensive report on your driving skills along with any advice they feel would help.
The report can be used for your own peace of mind, to show to family members or your GP and, in some cases, may be useful to support a licence renewal.
The appraisal costs £45 and lasts around one and a half hours.
- How to book
To request a driving appraisal please complete our Driver Skills Scheme 60+ Appraisal Application Form.
Once we have notified you of your appointment you can pay online.
- Other help and advice
We are part of the Older Drivers Forum. A non-profit organisation aimed at keeping mature motorists on the road safely for longer. The forum provides information, advice and points drivers in the right direction for an assessment to identify their driving needs.