Guidance for Ukrainian guests

Welcome to Hampshire

We know the circumstances leading you to leave Ukraine are upsetting and difficult, but we hope if you choose to find a UK sponsor in Hampshire, you can arrive and settle in as soon as possible.

Finding a sponsor before arriving in the UK

If you do not know anyone in the UK who can be your sponsor, the Government has published a list of responsible voluntary and community organisations who will help match sponsors and guests as part of the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

Travelling with pets

The Government has published guidance for what to do if you are bringing pets to the UK from Ukraine.

Support after your arrival in Hampshire

You will be given a welcome pack full of information and will be visited, along with your sponsor, by representatives from the County and local District Councils. This first visit is designed to make sure your accommodation is right for you, and to work out what support is most suitable for your circumstances.

Your welcome guides

The UK Government has produced a factsheet and a separate national welcome guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK.

The guide includes information on what you need to know in your first few days to help you get used to life in the UK including how to find a home, access to essential public services, healthcare, finding work and childcare and education services. It also includes specific information for those arriving through the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

County Council and district and borough council welcome guides for where you live

Information about local services to help you settle into your community can be found in the local Welcome guides below. The guides explain how to register with a family doctor, called a GP in the UK, and how to get your children into educations. The regional guides also includes links to Hampshire’s libraries, many of which have set up Ukraine Connections groups. These groups meet in libraries, offering a welcoming space for you to begin to meet others socially, learn how to use library services, and find out more about life in your new temporary community.

Region guide

Welcome guide for Ukrainians arriving in Hampshire. (Вітальний путівник для гостей з України англійською та українською мовами).

Local guides

Registering with a doctor

While you are temporarily living in Hampshire, you will be able to register with a local doctor (General Practitioner or GP), as well as a local dentist. You will find out more about this during the home visit mentioned above.

Getting your child or children into school or college

Ukrainian children will be able to attend school and college while they are in Hampshire. This will be discussed during your home visit.

Advice on how to apply to Hampshire schools for a place for your child or children.

For young people aged 16 to 18 who wish to attend education or training at a local college, you can contact colleges and training providers directly to discuss making an application.

If you would like support to apply, email [email protected].

List of colleges and training providers in Hampshire

For those aged 19 and over, funded English language and adult learning courses are offered by local colleges and Hampshire County Council. Details of courses are available via the National Careers Service.

Financial support

The Government has confirmed that all those arriving from Ukraine will be eligible for £200 per person to help with everyday living expenses. We will confirm how this will be paid to you when the home visit takes place. Once you are settled, you will be able to apply for further help from the state. Information about this will be provided during the home visit. You will also be able to look for a job while you are here.

Confirming your immigration status

Government information is available explaining the steps you need to take after arriving in the UK to confirm your immigration status. This will allow you to work in the UK and claim the benefits and services you are entitled to.

Claiming Child Benefit payments

You are entitled to claim Child Benefit immediately if you are responsible for bringing up a child who is under 16, or under 20 in education or training.

To claim, complete a CH2 Child Benefit claim form and mail it to the Child Benefit office.

You need to provide an original birth certificate and the passport or travel document used to enter the UK. If you don’t have these, add a note about this on your claim form and HM Revenue & Customs will be in touch.

For more information on Child Benefit visit GOV.UK or call 0300 200 3100 (from inside the UK).

Free helpline available

UK children’s charity Barnardo’s has set up a free helpline, staffed by English, Ukrainian and Russian speakers, to offer support to children and families arriving in the UK from Ukraine.

Callers can get help and advice on a range of topics. The helpline operates:

  • Monday to Friday 10am to 8pm
  • Saturdays 10am to 3pm

Call the free helpline: 0800 148 8586

Support for those with sight loss

UK sight loss charities, including Royal National Institute of Blind People and Guide Dogs, are offering free advice and equipment, such as canes and other mobility items, to Ukrainian guests. You can get support by calling the sight loss helpline on 0303 123 9999, 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, or 9am to 1pm on Saturdays. An interpretation service is available.

Finding your own accommodation

After leaving your sponsor's home, you will be able to rent a property like anyone else. If you need to, you'll be able to claim the housing part of Universal Credit or Housing Benefit. The UK Government has useful information on renting property.

Free local bus travel for Ukrainian guests

You can get 12 weeks’ free bus travel from your local bus service by completing this form.

Your free travel bus pass will cover the routes offered by the main bus company operating in your area. Further information will be provided with your pass.

All children under 5 years of age and adults who are 65 and over are eligible for free bus travel in the UK, so they do not need to be included in your application for a 12-week free bus travel pass.

More details on getting a free bus travel pass if you are 65 or over

How we manage personal data shared with us: privacy notice

Read the County Council's privacy notice which sets out how we use and keep any personal data we hold about our guests from Ukraine.