Homes for Ukraine: Hampshire Welcome Guide

Welcome to Hampshire, one of the largest counties in England and home to more than 1.4 million residents

The County Council is working with other local councils and partner organisations to provide support to help you settle into our community.

A home visits team will carry out accommodation and safeguarding checks at sponsors’ houses to make sure they are safe and suitable for you and your family to live in and will:

  • make sure you have access to a suitable kitchen and bathroom
  • check smoke alarms are installed
  • carry out DBS checks when needed (this check uses information from the Police National Computer to show if a person has a criminal history)

Much of this will have been done before you arrive so you can settle into your temporary home as quickly as possible.

Ensuring guests are well connected and able to access information is important. There are locations that offer free WiFi across Hampshire, including all County Council libraries.

You can also use this WiFi map which shows places in Hampshire where you can find free WiFi.

Hampshire County Council services

The County Council provides a wide range of services to the public.

You can find out more by watching this short film or searching this website. You can find information about specific support services we provide to adults and children, see below, as well as more general information such as ideas for leisure activities and what's on in our libraries.

Support for adults

Adult social care provides support to people who live in Hampshire aged 18+ with a long-term illness, disability, or health condition. We offer practical support with personal care, such as help at home from a carer and equipment to help with daily tasks. We also help people who provide unpaid care to someone with a health condition or disability – for example, a family member of someone you live with.

The first step to getting help from adult social care is to ask for a care needs assessment. This will identify what needs you have and what help you may benefit from.

If you provide unpaid care to someone, you can ask for a carer’s assessment. This will find out if there is any support that could help you.

Please contact us online, or alternatively you can call us on 0300 555 1386

  • Monday 8.30am to 5pm
  • Tuesday to Thursday 9.30am to 5pm
  • Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

Find out more about adult social care.

Support for children

If you are worried about your child or any other child, you can contact us online, or call on 0300 555 1384

  • Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm
  • Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm
If a child is in immediate danger call the police on 999 or report a crime on 101

Contacting Hampshire County Council outside office hours

If you need to speak to someone from the County Council outside working hours, you can contact the Emergency Social Work Team on the out of hours number: 0300 555 1373

  • Monday to Thursday 5pm to 8.30am
  • Friday 4.30pm to Monday 8.30am
  • All day on Bank Holidays

Find out more about support for children and families.

Education and childcare

Childcare and pre-school education

Find information relating to very young children.

School admissions and post 16 education

Ukrainian children are be able to attend school and college while they are in Hampshire.

This will be discussed during the home visit, and there is information on this website.

Colleges and training providers for those aged 16+ are independent of the County Council and are not covered by the schools’ admissions code. For young people aged 16-18 looking to continue education and training at a local college or with a training provider, you should contact the institution directly to talk about applying for a place. You can get help with this process. Email: [email protected].

The Hampshire Futures Careers Information Service has a list of colleges and training providers in Hampshire.

Adults (aged 19+) can access funded English language and adult learning courses offered by local colleges and the County Council. Details of courses are available via the National Careers Service.

Looking after your health

There are a range of services available to support you. General advice on which service to choose is outlined in this leaflet.

Contacting a GP/family doctor

A General Practitioner (GP) is your family doctor. The best way to contact a GP practice is by telephoning the number given to you by your host.

Find out more information about finding a GP practice.

When you call a GP practice, you will be asked:

  • Your name
  • Your date of birth
  • Whether you are calling for yourself or for someone else, such as your child
  • Your address
  • Your mobile telephone number
  • Information on the health problem

These details are shared with a GP who will get in touch with you to let you know what you need to do next. The GP might advise you to:

  • Discuss your condition in more detail on the telephone.  Language translation will be made available
  • Telephone 111 for advice. For example, this will be the best way to get advice on dental issues
  • Telephone 999 for an ambulance to take you to hospital
  • Ask you to visit the GP surgery in person
  • Attend a routine appointment on another day

In addition, the Hampshire, Southampton and Isle of Wight Integrated Care System, provides information on local services. This includes pharmacies, urgent treatment centres and minor injuries units, as well as dentists and opticians.

Hampshire hospitals with Emergency Departments

Hampshire is served by a number of large hospitals with Emergency Departments. These are:

General health advice

How the National Health Service (NHS) works

Get up to date with your vaccinations

Latest COVID-19 advice

Hampshire County Council advice and guidance