The Lord-Lieutenant is the personal representative of HM The King in Hampshire
The Lord-Lieutenant is responsible for the organisation of all official Royal visits to Hampshire and on the day of an engagement he escorts the Royal visitor around the various locations.
The Lord-Lieutenant also carries out other duties in the County, such as the presentation of decorations, The King’s Awards for Enterprise and Voluntary Service. The Lord-Lieutenant has close links with the military and is the President of the South East Reserve Forces and Cadet Association.
Education and career
Nigel Atkinson, Esq. was born in London and educated at Haileybury and Imperial Service College, and the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. Following six years with the Royal Green Jackets he joined the Leisure & Retailing sector and now has a portfolio of Non-Executive positions.
The Lord-Lieutenant is involved with charitable organisations around the county and is Patron or President of many of these, including:
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Community Foundation
- The Rainbow Centre in Fareham, The Roberts Centre in Portsmouth
- The Rowan’s Hospice at Waterlooville
- Patron of Gilbert White’s Museum and The King Edward VI’s School in Southampton
The Lord-Lieutenant has had an interest in youth organisations for many years, following his own service in the Combined Cadet Force whilst at school. Some youth organisations he is involved with are:
- President of Hampshire Scouts
- President of the D of E in Hampshire
- Patron of Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary Volunteer Police Cadets
- Honorary Colonel of the Hampshire and Isle of Wight ACF