Alerts of possible emergencies
Signing up for alerts can give you advance warning of a possible incident in your area.
If your home or business is at risk of flooding you may be able to sign up for flood warnings.
The Met Office issues weather warnings if it forecasts extreme weather. Download the Met Office weather app to receive the warnings direct to your device.
Utility companies can offer extra help to people who may more at risk during a loss of electricity, gas or water. This is called the Priority Service Register. For example they could help a person who relies on electrical medical equipment. You can ask your energy network to:
- warn you about supply interruptions
- compensate you if your supply is interrupted
- give you cooking appliances or hot meals during a power cut
Citizen's Advice have more information on the Priority Service Register.
During an emergency
Go in, stay in and tune in. During a major incident, always follow the instructions of the emergency services. Tune into your local radio or TV station. Listen to the advice given. You might get a visit from the emergency services or a van could drive by giving information through a loud hailer.
Check the BBC or ITV channels for local news or tune into local radio stations:
- Hampshire County Council @hantsconnect
- Hampshire Constabulary @HantsPolice
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service @Hants_fire
- South Central Ambulance Service @SCAS999
Phone 105 for free if you need information during a power cut. Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) have a live map of power outages.