Advice for UK service families

Hampshire County Council recognises the disadvantage experienced by UK service personnel as a result of being subject to frequent movement within the UK and from abroad, often at relatively short notice

Hampshire's admission arrangements for service children are set in accordance with paragraph 2.21 of the School Admissions Code (September 2021), below:

2.21 For families of service personnel with a confirmed posting, or crown servants returning from overseas, admission authorities must:

a) allocate a place in advance of the family arriving in the area (as long as one is available), provided the application is accompanied by an official letter that declares a relocation date. Admission authorities must not refuse to process an application and must not refuse a place solely because the family do not yet have an intended address, or do not yet live in the area.

b) use the address at which the child will live when applying their oversubscription criteria, as long as the parents provide some evidence of their intended address. Admission authorities must use a Unit or quartering address as the child’s home address when considering the application against their oversubscription criteria, where a parent requests this.

c) not reserve blocks of places for these children.

d) ensure that arrangements in their area support the Government’s commitment to removing disadvantage for service children. Arrangements must be appropriate for the area and be described in the local authority’s composite prospectus.

The Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS) provides a dedicated service for MOD and service families providing expert and impartial advice about the education of service children.

Forces Connect South East has produced an information video to support Service families to understand the school application process.


School Admissions Application Process Flow Charts for Service Families - Easy Read

The Hampshire Admission Forum monitors outcomes for service families.

Families in Hampshire

Many Hampshire schools have extensive experience of service families and the needs of their children.

Areas of the county with a high proportion of service personnel include Gosport, Marchwood, Wallop, Odiham, Aldershot, Winchester, Fleet and Shipton Bellinger.

Evidence of relocation

For service families with official proof of a posting to Hampshire and a relocation date, a Unit postal address, quartering area address or future home address will be accepted as the address for the application.

Applying for a September place

If you are applying for your child to start school for the first time, transfer from infant to junior school or to start secondary school in September and are:

Relocating to Hampshire from elsewhere in England

You must:

  • complete the application form from the local authority where you live
  • send a copy of the official MOD, FCO or GCHQ letter declaring your relocation date and future home address, unit postal address or quartering area address to your home authority by the relevant deadline. Your home authority will co-ordinate your application with the local authority for your future address

Relocating to Hampshire from overseas

You can:

Applying for an immediate place

If you are applying for an immediate school place (in-year application) you must:

  • complete the in-year application form
  • send a copy of the official MOD, FCO or GCHQ letter declaring your relocation date and future home address, unit postal address or quartering area address to the school

Further information about applying for a school place in-year.