Applying for a school place in-year

An in-year admission is when a child needs an immediate school place during the school year

There are two main reasons for this. You might be moving house or unhappy with your child’s current school.

You can apply for an in-year place up to four school weeks before the place is needed. If you are offered a place, the school will require your child to start at the school within four school weeks. Exceptionally, parents seeking an in-year place starting in September 2024 can apply from 1 May 2024. These applications will be considered from 10 June 2024.

In-year applications for Hampshire schools are processed by the schools who will aim to respond to your application in writing within 10 school days but must respond in no later than 15 school days.

Before you apply

If your child is having difficulties at their current school, please speak to the headteacher to try and resolve the situation in the first instance. Changing school can be difficult for a child and rarely solves their difficulties. It is important to consider the emotional, social and academic consequences for your child connected with a change of school before contemplating making an application to another school.

Finding a school

You are encouraged to visit schools and look at their websites to help you decide which schools you wish to apply for. Not all schools will have vacancies. Some will be full with a waiting list and so it is wise to consider more than one school in case any are unable to take your child.

Use our school search to find Hampshire schools near to where you live.

Use our Catchment Finder to find the catchment school for your address.

When choosing a school, you must consider how your child will get there as you will be responsible for their travel arrangements and travel costs, unless you are eligible for statutory Home to School Transport.

Completing the application

Apply online for a place at a Hampshire school.

To apply for a school outside of Hampshire, including Southampton and Portsmouth, you will need to contact the relevant local authority.

In addition to making your application, you must provide the school with evidence of your child’s address, by providing any two of the following:

  • driving licence
  • council tax bill showing both your name and the home address
  • utility bill (gas, electricity, water) showing both your name and home address
  • bank statement showing both your name and the home address.

Or, if you are applying for a school place because of a house move or military posting:

  • read our address page to find out what evidence is required.

The County Council may investigate the residence details you provide. An offer of a place may be withdrawn if you provide false information.

Some schools, especially faith schools, also require you to complete a supplementary form, in addition to the online application form. Check the school’s admission policy to see if a supplementary form is required. Completed supplementary forms should be returned to the school.

You will be unable to make changes to your application once it has been submitted. If you need to make a change, please contact the Admissions Team for further assistance.

Receiving the outcome

Schools will aim to respond to your application in writing within 10 school days but must respond in no later than 15 school days.

Please note that schools are unlikely to be able to respond to applications during school holidays. If you are waiting for an outcome, you may need to wait until the schools return.

If you are offered a place:

  • speak to the school to arrange a start date.

If you are refused a place, you can: