How to apply for transport assistance to a SEN school or placement
If you need help getting your child to school, you can apply for transport assistance.
The deadline for on-time applications for September is 1 July 2022.
Applications received after this date will still be processed but transport may not be in place for the beginning of the school year.
The application will be reviewed by Children’s Services SEN Team and if approved the Transport Team will make the transport arrangements. This is the process:
- Parent/carer submits an online application
- SEN Team receive and assess the parent’s application
- If the parent is eligible, the SEN Team sends requests to Transport Team to set up transport
- If the parent is NOT eligible, the SEN Team will write to the parent to advise that this is the case.
If you are the parent of an SEN student seeking transport for a respite placement, you must contact your Social Worker.
- When to reapply
You do not need to reapply when:
- your child receives Hampshire County Council funded transport because they meet the eligibility criteria and
- is remaining at the same school in September and
- your circumstances have not changed
You do need to reapply when:
- your child's home address changes or
- the school they are attending changes or
- any other personal details that may affect their eligibility for transport assistance changes, for example additional needs, change to wheelchair transport, change of wheelchair
If any of the above apply, parents/carers must submit a new application form and eligibility for transport assistance will be reassessed. The school must pass the new details to the Children’s Services SEN Team (firstname.lastname@example.org). It can take the Transport Team up to 15 working days to rearrange transport from the date the request is received from the SEN Team. In the meantime it is your responsibility to get your child to school.
- Making arrangements for your child
Transport Team can take up to 15 working days to process in-year requests from the date the request is received from the SEN Team.
The deadline for September applications is detailed above.
Applications received after this date will still be processed but transport may not begin until after the term has started. Summer intake applications can take significantly longer to process than 15 working days. On-time applicants will be notified of their eligibility status and transport arrangements before term begins but this may be very close to the start of term. This is because we work throughout the summer re-organising much of the transport that is required in each new school year.
Applications being considered as an exception to policy can take significantly longer to process. In these cases parents/carers are notified in due course.