Purpose of the role
The main purpose of the role is to survey the wide range of wildlife (reptiles, birds, butterflies, small mammals) at Staunton Country Park over the Summer months (till October 2018). This role will form part of the Transformation program for Staunton Country Park (a £3 million Heritage Lottery Funded project to enhance its physical environment and upgrade community facilities for visitors).
It is envisaged that animal surveys will take place every year in order to create and maintain an accurate record of the wildlife that resides in the Park.
Typical tasks and duties
- Identifying species
- Manually record evidence of sightings
- Input data evidence (as required)
Experience and training
For bird and butterfly surveyors, it would be useful if volunteers had some previous knowledge of these species for this role, however, on-site training will be provided by local rangers to help identify birds and butterflies as well as small mammals and reptiles.
What’s in it for you?
- Meeting new like-minded, friendly people
- Recognition and appreciation for your contribution to the Park
- This role will be a valuable addition to your CV, demonstrating to potential employers a range of particular skills and experience
- Through training and involvement in the project you will gain an appreciation of the natural habitat within Staunton Country park
- Refreshments provided
When: immediately (until October 2018)
Hours/days: As arranged
Commitment: Couple of hours weekly/fortnightly throughout Summer 2018
Where: Staunton Country Park
We welcome applications from people of all abilities, backgrounds and volunteers.
Who we are looking for
Skills and Knowledge
- Basic understanding of species (desirable but not essential as training will be provided)
- Interest in wildlife and the natural environment
- Moderate level of fitness is desirable
- Enthusiasm and a desire to contribute to the improvement of Staunton Country Park
Staunton Country Park Staunton Country Park Havant PO9 5HB