Making changes to a watercourse
As Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA), Hampshire County Council is responsible for giving permission for works on ordinary watercourses
- Hampshire County Council’s responsibility
You must apply to Hampshire County Council for consent to carry out work which may:
- place or alter a structure within an ordinary watercourse
- affect the flow or storage of water within an ordinary watercourse
This includes temporary structures.If your watercourse is part of a main river then you will need to apply for the consent of the Environment Agency for any proposed works
- When consent is required
Check the guide to ordinary watercourse consenting to see if your works need consent.
- Information needed
The information that you need to supply with your application is listed in the validation checklist for applications (ordinary watercourse consents)If you do not supply all of this information your application will not proceed and it will be returned
- Application fees
- The fee for applying for an ordinary watercourse consent is £50 per structure. The total cost depends on the type of work you are doing. See the ordinary watercourse application charging guide.
- Advice before applying
We offer a pre-application service for ordinary watercourse consents. This provides:
- specific advice for works on your site
- a checking service to ensure your consent application is valid
There is a charge for this service.
- Apply for consent
Complete the ordinary watercourse land drainage consent application form and return it to us with related plan and documents and the appropriate application fee.
Email completed forms and related plans and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application must be completed accurately. The accompanying information must be clear. If any information is missing, your application could be delayed.
One application form can be made for multiple structures, if located in the same area or on the same watercourse.
Applications can also be sent by post along with the application fee to:
Applications for OW Land Drainage Consent
Flood & Water Management
Economy, Transport & Environment Department
Elizabeth II Court West
Hampshire County Council