Register as disabled

Who can register

The County Council will issue disability registration cards to adults* (over the age of 18) who live in Hampshire (excluding the two unitary authorities of Portsmouth and Southampton), if one of the following applies to you:

  • you hold a Blue Badge parking permit
  • you receive Disability Living Allowance (care or mobility component) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • you receive Attendance Allowance
  • you have a physical disability, a long term neurological condition, learning disability, mental health issues, Autism or Asperger Syndrome
  • you are registered with a hearing loss as (i) you use British Sign Language as your first language or (ii) you have received a diagnosis of hearing loss from an audiologist. You may choose to be registered Deaf with speech, D/deaf without speech or Hard of Hearing
  • you are registered with a sight or severe sight impairment

*To request a disability registration for a child please contact Children's Services on 03005551384.

Registration for sight impairment

Under S.77 Care Act 2014, Hampshire County Council has a duty to maintain a register of people with sight impairments who are ordinarily resident in its area. This duty is supplemented by chapter 22 of the Care and Support Statutory Guidance 2014.

There are 2 categories of registration:

  1. Sight impairment (previously known as 'partially sighted')
  2. Severe sight impairment (previously known as 'blind')

Once an ophthalmologist has assessed that you are eligible for registration, a Certificate of Vision Impairment will be provided to:

  • you
  • your GP
  • Adult Services

You will need to keep your copy of the Certificate safe.

A specialist member of Adult Services staff will make contact with you within two weeks. A care and support needs assessment will be offered if that is indicated. You will be provided with a registration card as identified in the Certificate - and will be advised of local support services that are available. You do not need to apply for a registration card yourself.

What happens when you register

If you register as disabled your details will be stored by Hampshire County Council on a confidential database and you will be given a small card as proof of your registration.

The information you provide is important as it will be used to help in the planning, monitoring and development of services for people with disabilities in Hampshire (excluding the two unitary authorities of Portsmouth and Southampton).

Disability Registration Cards are free. They are valid for life and are a quick and easy way of proving that you have a disability and need to use facilities provided for disabled people.

Benefits of registering as disabled

Local concessions may be available, for example in libraries, theatres, education and training and other social outlets. All concessions are discretionary and may vary.

You do not need to be registered to be able to reclaim VAT on goods directly related to your disability. Find out what you can buy without paying VAT.

How to register

To register as disabled* or to obtain a replacement card:

* See section above for registration with sight impairment.