Passenger assistants

Resources and information to help you in your role

Hampshire County Council currently employs around 600 passenger assistants. Passenger assistants play a key role in enabling children with Special Educational Needs to attend school. They are responsible for supervising the students and ensuring they are happy and safe on the transport.

To ensure a high quality service, the Council carries out regular checks and risk assessments of the passenger assistant service. This could involve a member of the Transport Team travelling on a home to school transport service.

For Data Protection, all our route schedules are sent securely. For more information on receiving secure, encrypted emails.
If you know somebody who's interested in becoming a passenger assistant, please encourage them to visit Careers with Hampshire County Council, email [email protected] or phone 01962 845327 for more information.
We do not tolerate any physical or verbal abuse towards passenger assistants from parents/carers or children. This may result in the suspension or withdrawal of transport.
The role of a passenger assistant

Passenger assistants ensure that a child travels to and from school in a safe environment. They check that seatbelts and harnesses are secure throughout the journey. Passenger assistants ensure that a child is left in the care of an adult at both the home and school. They communicate with a child in a way that is appropriate to their needs. Passenger assistants are also trained to carry out emergency first aid if required.

Passenger assistants are able to:

  • carry important medical information provided by the parent and ensure medical assistance is called if needed
  • notify delays by either reporting to the Transport Team or calling the parent (by prior agreement)
  • are trained throughout their employment to ensure that children receive the best care during the journey

Passenger assistants are not able to:

  • knock on the door to let parents/carers know they have arrived, as this may leave other children on board unattended
  • wait for a child for longer than 3 minutes (or any length of time at a bus stop), as this may cause delays in arriving at school
  • administer any medication
  • lift children or heavy bags in or out of the vehicle
  • Passenger assistants are not able to change nappies or soiled clothing
  • change pick up or drop off points without prior agreement from the Transport Team
General admin
  • Please read the latest newsletter
  • To order a new hi-vis jacket, email the School Escort Team. Please include your name and the size you require
Reporting forms
Absence and leave information
I don’t feel well enough to do my school run this morning, what should I do?

You should call either 01962 846925 or 0370 779 5377 to report your absence. The office is staffed from 7am until 5pm. If you call outside of these hours, you will be able to leave a message on our answer phone. In the message you should state your name, the school you escort for and the reason for your absence along with any other important information about the children you escort.

I need to take unpaid leave, how do I request it?

Email the School Escort Team to seek permission for unpaid leave. If the request is authorised you must submit the unpaid leave request through ESS Lite before you take the time off.

How do I put unpaid leave through ESS lite?

  1. Log on to ESS Lite.
  2. Once logged on to ESS Lite, select the “My Request Leave” tile.
  3. Select the type of leave you are requesting (click on the drop down arrow in the box that is pre-populated with “compassionate leave”).
  4. A list of options will appear in a new window.
  5. You will find “Unpaid Leave” at the bottom of the list.
  6. Click on “Unpaid Leave” to select and ensure it populates the box.
  7. If you are only taking off half a day, you should input the number of hours you will be absent for in the “ATT/Absence Hours” box in decimal form. For example, if you require an afternoon off and your run is for 2 and ¾ hours, you would input 2.75.
  8. Send/Submit request.

I can't get into my ESS Lite account

Ring the IBC helpline on 0300 555 0223, and when you hear the option for IT help, dial 7000.

I don’t think I have been paid correctly

Log into ESS Lite and check your payslip online. If it does not seem correct raise an enquiry through the ESS Lite portal.

I have lost my ID badge

Send an email to the School Escort Team at [email protected] giving details of your name and the school you cover.

Employee assistance programme

Hampshire County Council is committed to supporting employees to be healthy and resilient and has commissioned Health Assured, one of the leading Employee Assistance Programme and Psychological Service providers in the UK, to provide free, impartial and completely confidential support to County Council staff. As an employee of Hampshire County Council, you and your partner/spouse can access this support. The phone number for this is 0800 030 5182 or 0161 836 9498 from a mobile phone.

I am a permanent School Escort and have not been paid for the course I went on, what should I do?

You need to input the hours for the course on ESS Lite, we are unable to do this for you.

It is the summer holidays and I have not heard if my school run is continuing in September, what should I do?

Sometimes the Transport Team do not finish planning the school routes until late in the school holidays. If you have not heard anything by the last week of the holidays, email the School Escort Team for an update. If possible, please do not contact them before this time to allow the Transport Team time to finish their summer re-plan.

I need to get hold of someone in the Transport Team, when is the office staffed?

The office is staffed from 07.00 till 17.00 Monday to Friday. Outside of these times there is an answer phone. If the matter is not urgent it is best to call between the hours of 10.00 and 14.00 as it is usually busy outside of these times.

Parents/carers and students
A parent has asked me for my phone number, do I have to provide it?

No, it is up to you whether you share your phone number with parents/carers.

A parent does not bring the child to the vehicle and doesn’t collect the child from the vehicle what should I do?

It is the parent/carer’s responsibility to bring their child to the vehicle and collect the child from the vehicle. Please explain this to the parent and if it continues, email the Transport Team. The parent/carer can give their written consent for their child to be left unattended.

There is a code next to the child’s name that reads ‘OKUNATT’ what does this mean?

It means that the parents/carers have given their consent for the child to enter and leave their house without an adult being present.

A child on my run has epilepsy, can I have some more information including what to do in an emergency?

If a child has epilepsy, the Transport Team will request further information and an emergency protocol from the parents/carers. A copy will be given to the School Escort to keep on board in case they have a seizure whilst using the service (please contact us by sending an email to [email protected] if you have not received this).

I have a new child on my school run who has epilepsy. I have done the epilepsy course but it was a long time ago, what should I do?

Email the School Escort Team so that they can book you onto the next available course in your area.

One of the children on my route had a seizure going to school today. They are fine now, but who should I tell?

You need to let the parents, school and the School Escort Team know. To report the seizure to the Escort Team, fill in this form.

One of the children has had an episode of bad behaviour on the school journey what should I do?

Email the Transport Team as soon as you are able so that you can receive support and advice. If necessary, the School Escort Team will carry out a risk assessment to see what can be done to help you.

I am getting attacked frequently on the school journey, what should I do?

Hampshire County Council wants to support you in your role and we are committed to providing support to our staff. Any incidents occurring during the school journey should be reported immediately to the School Escort Team at [email protected] so that the necessary support and advice can be provided.

One of the children is undoing their seatbelt on the school run, what should I do?

Contact the School Escort Team at [email protected] and they will be able to supply you with equipment that should help with this.

One of the children on my school run signs to me but I don’t know what it means

Children who sign usually use Makaton which is a signing language. We do run a course for school escorts whose children sign, you need to let the School Escort Team know by emailing [email protected] so that they can book you on the next course in your area.

The journey
What sort of on-board issues should I inform HCC about?

Please notify the Transport Team of any incidents on board involving challenging behaviour which cause a health and safety risk to the driver, the escort or other pupils on board. Please let us know if a vehicle breaks down, if there is an incident which is going to cause a significantly late pick up or about any accident that your vehicle is involved in.

My driver has contacted me to say that the vehicle has broken down, what should I do?

Call the Transport Team who will contact the parents to let them know that the vehicle is going to be late.

My vehicle was involved in an accident. All the children were off the vehicle, what should I do?

Even if all of the children are off the vehicle you still need to let the Transport Team know that the vehicle has been involved in an accident.

Where can I find a copy of the Driver’s Code of Conduct?