As the weather turns colder some vulnerable individuals and families will struggle to keep their homes warm.
Cold weather not only makes life uncomfortable but can also lead to serious health problems in the very young, vulnerable and elderly people, such as respiratory diseases, asthma, depression, heart disease or stroke.
Call us today
We recognise that it can sometimes be difficult to know who to contact or where to begin, but this advice and support is available from our dedicated Advice Line.
- 0800 804 8601
How we can help
The phone advice line is open to all Hampshire residents. Some services have eligibility criteria and the advisors will be able to talk through the best possible solution for each caller. Services include:
- assistance to switch your energy provider or tariff to help you save money on your fuel bills
- signposting and referrals to other organisations, such as: benefits and debt advice and safe and well visits by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service
- eligibility check for the Warm Home Discount and local energy efficiency schemes
- home visits from our Advisors offering advice and practical support
- support with alternative heating measures (for example, electric oil filled radiators) if you are without heating
- help to access to funding, where available, for boiler repairs and replacements. Delivered through trusted 'Buy With Confidence' contractors
- access to small grant support to help cope with winter fuel emergencies
If you live in a rural area of Hampshire we have additional resources to help. Extra funding from Winchester City Council is now in place to boost the Hitting the Cold Spots activity in the Winchester District.
If you are aware of a family or individual who is struggling to keep warm and well then please contact us today.
Looking after your health
Stay Well This Winter: advice and support with illnesses and health from the NHS.
Flu vaccinations: winter campaign starts with largest flu vaccination programme.
Connect to Support Hampshire: information and advice on health and wellbeing and managing at home.
- Hitting the cold spots
- Affordable warmth checklist
- Advice leaflets from the Environment Centre
- Hitting the cold spots evaluation report 2016-2017
- Cold weather plan for England
- Local Authority Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent
- A4 poster promoting the service to older people
- A4 poster promoting the service to young families