Extra care housing is the latest development in care. It offers affordable housing and a secure place to live in a home of your own. Care and support staff are on hand 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to meet your assessed and emergency care needs.
About extra care housing
Extra care housing is designed for people who need some extra help to look after themselves, but want to continue to live independently with the reassurance that staff are onsite 24/7 to respond to emergencies.
Extra care provides
- Your own flat, with your own kitchen, bedroom, living room, bathroom and front door
- Qualified staff onsite to respond quickly to a variety of personal care and other support needs (planned and in emergency situations)
- Safe and supportive environment in buildings close to local facilities
- Shared facilities such as a laundry, restaurant, hairdressing, lounges and gardens
- Social activities organised by residents groups and supported by care staff
Who can get Extra care
Hampshire County Council commissioned schemes
If you, or your partner,
- have been assessed as eligible for care from us, and
- you are on your local housing register
then you are eligible for Extra-Care housing in Hampshire.
See below for information on how to apply to be on your local housing register and how to request a care assessment.
Privately run schemes
Privately-run schemes are likely to have fewer criteria than council-run schemes. If you are purchasing an Extra Care apartment or bungalow yourself from a private provider, you may only need to meet the age criteria. See Extra Care information on Connect to Support Hampshire.
How to apply for a Council commissioned scheme
To apply for Council commissioned Extra care housing, contact your local council housing team to request an application form (this is your borough, district or city council, not Hampshire County Council).
Please be aware that priority is usually awarded to people with limited financial resources and unable to seek a property in the private sector. You may also need to justify a local family connection in the area.
Extra Care is designed for people who need care. If you have not already had an assessment of your care needs then you will need to contact Hampshire County Council’s Adults’ Health and Care department to request one.
Extra care schemes where we commission care
The following schemes are open to people who are eligible for Council commissioned Extra care in Hampshire. Links will take you to full details about each scheme on the Housingcare.org website.
N.B. To apply for a Council commissioned scheme, see above.
- Surrey Court, Kent Road, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh SO53 3LS
- Fernhill Court, Oakmount Road, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 2ER
- Rowan Court (Dementia Specialist Facility), Oakmount Road, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 2ER
- Laburnum House, Laburnum Rd, Hedge End, Southampton SO30 0QG
- Juniper Court, Cunningham Drive, Gosport, PO13 0YG
- Campbell Place, Campbell Close, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 4AL
- Gore Grange, Jowitt Drive, Gore Road, New Milton, BH25 6SB
- Barfields, Emsworth Road, Lymington, SO41 9GW
- Winfrid House, Boniface Close, Totton, Southampton, SO40 3SJ
- Place Court, Pool Road, Aldershot, Hampshire, GU11 3SW
- St John’s Court, St. Johns Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 9RW
- Lion Oak Court, Salisbury Road, Andover SP10 2GJ
- Warner Court, Bishops Way, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 3EH
- Nightingale Lodge, Great Well Drive, Romsey, SO51 7QN (for completion July 2021)
- Chesil Lodge, Chesil Street, Winchester, SO23 0AH
- Danemark Court, Gordon Rd, Winchester, SO23 7TB
- Matilda Place (Dementia Specialist Facility), Gordon Rd, Winchester, SO23 7TB