Transition to adulthood

Moving from support under Children's Services to Adult Services

Independent Futures Team

The team works with young people to increase their independence and plan for their future. They work with young people living in the Hampshire local authority area:

  • who have significant disabilities and complex support needs and
  • who need support to move into adulthood and
  • who are eligible for adult social care support

The team supports young people to:

  • have maximum choice in planning their own futures
  • have a smooth transition from Children’s services to Adult services
  • develop skills to promote increased independence and fulfil their potential
  • plan support to best meet their social care needs

Assessment and support planning

Assessments involve working with the young person, and people who are important in their lives, to identify any care and support needs the young person may have after the age of 18. This will include aspirations and hopes for the future. The young person’s consent to a referral and assessment is required. If they lack mental capacity to make the decision, a decision can be taken in their best interest by a group of skilled and experienced people (including carers). The assessment will take place at a time that works best for the young person. This may be as early as age 14 but will often be at age 16 or 17.

If the young person is assessed as having eligible needs, the team will plan with the young person how to meet these needs. This may not always result in funded services but may help identify support from friends, family and local community resources. Because the legal frameworks are different in Children’s services and Adults service, some young people have support from children's services but are not eligible for adult services. Those young people who do not meet the adult eligibility criteria, will be signposted to alternative support and services.


Anyone who has substantial difficulty in being involved in their assessment is entitled to help. If there is no appropriate person, they will be offered an advocate.

Eligibility for adult social care

Being eligible for adult social care support means that the young person’s needs have been assessed and they have met the eligibility criteria stipulated within the Care Act 2014. Our Getting help page explains more. You can find an easy read booklet on “Who can get help from Adults’ Health and Care’ as well as other easy read information on our Learning disabilities page.


The Independent Futures Team also offers advice and assessments to:

Paying for adult social care

There is no charge for support directly from the Independent Futures Team. However, if care services are provided, the young person will usually be required to make a contribution towards the cost – following a financial assessment.

Further information

Help for people with learning disabilities - Easy read booklets and other resources

Hampshire Local Offer – information for children and young people with SEN and/or disabilities, including preparation for adulthood

Connect to Support Hampshire – Information and advice for adults with care and support needs, and a directory of national helplines, local services and activities.