Further information about Disabled Persons Parking Places

Additional information and guidance

Is my parking place enforceable?

Currently Hampshire County Council install two types of on-street Disabled Persons Parking Places – enforced and advisory.

Enforceable Disabled Persons Parking Place:

These are governed by a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO). This is a piece of legislation that means that any vehicle that is parked in a disabled bay that does not display a valid Blue Badge is parked in contravention and may be issued a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). These bays can be identified by the presence of upright signage in addition to the white bay markings, which will be affixed to a post, wall, or similar. These types of bays are commonly placed in town centre locations.

Advisory Disabled Persons Parking Place:

These type of bays are advisory only and are not subject to a TRO and thus cannot be enforced. These bays rely on motorists’ consideration and courtesy, these are also white bay markings and can be identified by the absence of any upright signage as described above. Vehicles that are parked wholly or partially in these bays would not be issued a PCN, unless they were in contravention of a separate, unrelated restriction. These types of bays are commonly placed in residential areas and are the fastest way to get a bay “on the ground” without the need to go through the legal TRO process.

Any newly requested Disabled Persons Parking Places installed within residential areas will be advisory only.

Someone is parking in the parking place without a Blue Badge, what can I do?

If another vehicle parks in an advisory Disabled Persons Parking Place, it will not in itself constitute as an offence. Advisory Disabled Persons Parking Places are dependent on other drivers respecting the needs of the Blue Badge holder living nearby.

If others do not show courtesy, there is no course of enforcement action available to the Council or Police.

Can I paint my own Disabled Persons Parking Place?

Line painting works should only be carried out by approved council contractors using correctly prescribed methods and materials.

It is an offence for the public to mark lines or erect signs on the highway without the consent of the highway authority [Highways Act 1980 Section 132 (1)].

I already have a parking place outside my house that I just want repainted, why do I need to apply again?

You will need to submit a Disabled Persons Parking Place application so we can update our records.

What happens if there are vehicles blocking the area when the lines are going to be painted?

The contractor will contact neighbouring houses if the parking place is occupied when they visit and make repeat visits if needed.

In certain instances, traffic cones may be placed in the location prior to the works taking place.

What happens after I complete my application?

Once we have received a completed application an engineer will assess the site for suitability.

Provided all criteria have been met, there will be a site visit (when available). This will be to place temporary markings on the road, in preparation for the permanent markings placed by our contractors.

After the temporary markings have been placed, the job is then created and passed to contractors for completion.

We typically allow 12 to 16 weeks for the work to be completed by a contractor, although this may be subject to delay.

The same contractor will be marking new lines in the wider area on the same day, and the work can also be affected by cold or wet weather. As such we are unable to advise precisely when the work will be completed.

Before completing this online application ensure you have read our Privacy Notice.

Application form for a Disabled Persons Parking Place

If you are unable to complete the online form, download the Disabled Persons Parking Place application document.