Check if your vehicle needs a permit to access a Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)
You need a permit to dispose of household waste in a van, pick-up or trailer at any Hampshire HWRC. The permit is valid for one vehicle only.
Hampshire County Council does not use DVLA vehicle classifications to decide if vehicles are exempt from needing a permit. The decision of Hampshire County Council is final.
- Vans and pick-ups
You need a permit to visit a HWRC in a van or pick-up, which includes vehicles with one or more of these features:
- no rear windows
- no rear side windows, or panels in place of rear side windows
- no rear seats
- an open back or flat back vehicle, with or without a cover
- a back separate to the main cab, such as a closed cab pick-up
- a single-cab or double-cab pick-up with two or more seats
If you have hired a van for no more than three days, you do not need a permit.
- Select “Hire van / car” when booking
- bring the van hire agreement with you and show the site staff when you arrive
If you use a fully fitted campervan to dispose of your household waste, you do not require a permit. Please select “Car or motorcycle” if prompted during booking.
Vans with converted interiors
If you use a van with a converted interior to dispose of your household waste:
- you do not require a permit if the interior is fitted with permanent living arrangements, including a fixed bed and kitchenette
- you may require a permit if the interior is temporary or removable
- if you require a permit, select “Van or pickup” if prompted during booking
- if you do not require a permit, select “Car or motorcycle” if prompted during booking
If your trailer is:
- up to 1.8 metres long, you do not need a permit
- between 1.8 and 3 metres long, you need a permit
- over 3 metres long, you will not be allowed access to the HWRC
These measurements apply to the trailer box area and do not include the tow bar or other attachments.
If you use a van or pick-up to tow a trailer, then that vehicle can access the site without a permit, so long as it is not also carrying waste. You may not hold two permits at the same time.Trailers are not permitted at Hayling Island HWRC and New Alresford HWRC.
Horse boxes and horse trailers
Horse boxes and horse trailers are not permitted at any Hampshire HWRC.
- Cars, motorcycles or other domestic vehicles
You do not need a permit to visit a HWRC using a car, motorcycle or other domestic vehicle. You will need to register your vehicle before you visit.
- Heavy goods vehicles
Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes in weight are not permitted at any Hampshire HWRC.