In certain circumstances there may be a need to park in an area where parking is restricted. Where appropriate, you can apply to us for permission as explained below:
- Suspensions - To suspend parking spaces/bays. For example, to allow for works or removals
We must be satisfied there is a valid reason for the request, there are no reasonable alternatives for parking, and that it will not cause a safety or traffic problem.
There is a fee for these services which are listed below.
Suspensions - and how to apply for one
Examples: To accommodate loading or unloading. For example, for a house move.
If you require one or more parking places to be kept free for access or vehicles for loading and unloading, you can apply for a suspension. We charge per day but if you do not require the suspension across a weekend, we will not charge you for a Saturday or Sunday.
You do not get a discount if you require the suspension only for certain hours during the day but it is useful to tell us so we can allow others to park outside those hours.
If we agree to the suspension, we put up a suspension notice giving drivers advance warning of when they can and cannot park. It stays in place until the suspension ends.
We try to suspend parking spaces as close to your requested location as we can, but in some cases, they can be up to 75 metres away.
If we cannot put the suspension in place, we will try to make an alternative arrangement with your or arrange a full refund.
Parking Place / Bay suspensions
- Parking bay suspensions, which prevent previously permitted parking in specified lengths of road, are available for businesses meeting the criteria as specified in the relevant traffic regulation order.
- The standard length of a parking bay is recognised for these purposes as 6m and requests will be rounded up to the closest 6m length (e.g. 15m will be rounded to 18m).
- Businesses are required to provide Companies House registration number or business bank account details or public liability insurance details.
- Proof of works such as copy of contract specifying nature of work may be required.
- Each bay suspension expires at midnight.
- Vehicles must be parked within the boundaries of the parking bay area specified in the bay suspension and be there for loading or unloading.
- Work requiring a bay suspension must be carried out to minimise the amount of time the suspension is required.
- Bay suspensions may be cancelled by Hampshire CC at its discretion.
- Any abuse of the bay suspension process may result in cancellation of the suspension and future applications being declined.
Suspension fees per day
£50 admin fee and £10 per day for each car length space (up to six metres or part thereof)
For example, if you want to suspend 3 parking bays for one day (up to 18m in total) the cost will £50 admin fee plus 3 x £10 for each bay, giving a total of £80. The same three bays for two days would be £50 admin fee plus two lots of 3x £10 giving a total of £110.
Apply for a Suspension online
You should apply at least five working days before the suspension is required, however in certain exceptional circumstances, suspensions may be processed at short notice, but this will depend on the availability of suitable resources.
Please note that Hampshire County Council only manages parking suspensions in the districts of Fareham, Gosport, Test Valley and the New Forest. Requests for suspensions that do not fall in these areas should be made to the appropriate local district authority.
You can apply for a Suspension through the Hampshire County Council MiPermit Portal.