Apply for a disabled person's bus pass
Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for and renew a disabled person’s 'orange stripe' bus pass
- Who can apply
There is no upper age restriction for the disabled person's bus pass. You are eligible if you are 5 or above and meet any of these criteria:
- are blind or partially sighted
- are profoundly or severely deaf
- are without speech
- have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
- have a severe learning disability, including an arrested state of development from birth. See information in section 3
- would be refused a driving licence due to physical fitness (section 92 of the Road Transport Act 1988)
- are a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service
If you meet either of these criteria, you will need to apply by post:
- DVLA long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (at least 12 months)
- persons in residential accommodation
- Documents you need to provide
You will need to provide one of the following as evidence of your disability:
- Hampshire County Council Blue Badge number or please provide the issuing authority name and the badge number to allow us to check your record
- award letter for the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- award letter for a War Pensioners Mobility Allowance
- award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
- letter from the DVLA giving notice of long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (misuse of alcohol or drugs are not included under this scheme) OR confirmation from a healthcare professional advising that you are unable to drive because of prescribed medication and its effects
- award letter for personal independence payment (PIP) where you have been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP "Moving Around" or "Communicating Verbally" activities
- audiology evidence demonstrating severe hearing loss – 70-95 dB OR registered with HCC Deaf Services as Deaf (BSL British Sign Language)
- Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI)
- Learning disability - Easy read help
Information about bus passes and application form for people who have learning disabilities.
- Apply for a bus pass
The link at the bottom of this section will enable you to apply on-line OR print a paper application form indicated below to apply manually. Before you go any further please read the following information which is important to your application.
You will need to provide
- a current passport sized colour photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back
- proof of Hampshire address (e.g. copy of your driving licence or utility bill)
If you don’t have the above documents, you will need to provide alternative evidence. Your name and address must be the same as provided on your application form.
You must also provide your evidence of disability
Upon receipt we will review your application and if successful the bus pass will be posted to you within 10 working days. We will contact you if further information is required.
To apply by post, send a completed application form and all the relevant documents to the Bus Pass Team: PO Box 696, Fareham, PO14 9PD.
Please do not send original documents, they will not be returned to you.
- When you can use your bus pass
The disabled person’s bus pass entitles you to:
- free all day travel on bus services on journeys starting in Hampshire (not Portsmouth and Southampton) regardless of where you are travelling to.
- free travel between 9:30am to 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays on bus services throughout the rest of England (including London).
You can use your bus pass on these Community Transport services:
- Call and Go, eligible for a 25% discount against full fare
- Dial a Ride, eligible for a 25% discount against full fare
- Fleet Link, Yateley Shopper and Eastleigh Parish Links, eligible for a 25% discount against full fare
- Park and Ride services registered as local bus services (though you must still pay for the parking).
- Hampshire County Council Taxishare and carshare schemes.
For more information on the above and other community transport services in your area, including those that do not accept bus passes, please use our Community Transport search.
Extra eligibility criteria may apply for each of these, please see individual services for information.
The use of this pass on Community Transport services is an enhancement to the national scheme and is only available to Hampshire residents (excluding Southampton and Portsmouth) for journeys taking place within the county.
Disabled person’s bus passes are not valid on:
- reserved seat services i.e. coaches.
- temporary services running for less than six weeks (e.g. for special events)
- taxis, rail services, ferries, shopmobility, voluntary car schemes and the Hedge End Park Minibus Service
- Renewing your bus pass
Hampshire County Council Disabled person’s bus passes are generally automatically reissued on expiry two weeks prior to the expiry date of the current one.
There are exceptions, for example, when the pass has been issued to children during their educational years. Once education is completed disability evidence is required for the continued use of the concessionary travel scheme.
Other exceptions could include passes issued to adults for a limited period because of a temporary (12 months) driving licence refusal or non-permanent medical conditions.
Should your circumstances, address or appearance alter before expiry of your current bus pass please contact this office as soon as possible on email@example.com
If you are moving into Hampshire you will need to apply as a new customer.
- Moving house
Bus pass holders who move house since the issue of the current pass or are moving out of the Hampshire area are reminded to advise the County Council of their new address by completing the change of address notification form (for current Hampshire County Council customers only).
To update your Hampshire address you will need to upload evidence of your new address. This can be a copy of your driving licence or a utility bill dated within the last 6 months. Or an official letter with a recognised letterhead showing your address.
If you are not able to upload evidence of your address change, you will now need to email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach it or post a copy to the Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696 Fareham PO14 OPD. You will not receive a new bus pass when your current bus pass expires unless this evidence is provided.
You will need to apply to your new authority to replace your bus pass if you have moved from Hampshire.
If you have moved into Hampshire and currently using a previous authority bus pass you will need to apply as a new customer to Hampshire County Council and remember to tell your old authority you have moved out of their area.
- Lost, damaged or stolen pass
If your pass is not scanning it is likely that the internal chip has been damaged. You will need to pay for a replacement pass.
If you believe your bus pass is lost or stolen:
- contact the bus company to ask if someone has handed it in
- check your home and personal belongings. Many customers find their pass after they report it missing
The cost of a replacement pass is £13. We do not pay refunds if you find your pass later on.
If the pass has been stolen, the replacement is free if you reported the incident to the police. We will ask for the crime or incident reference number.
We will send the replacement pass to you within 10 working days.
(For Hampshire County Council customers only) If you wish to apply and pay by debit or credit card on-line and you have moved address since your current bus pass was issued and have not notified the County Council of the new details, then you need to contact the bus pass team via email to update your address before ordering your replacement bus pass online. To do this, complete the change of address notification form. Allow 5 working days before applying for a new bus pass, to allow time for your address details to be updated.
To apply and pay by post, print out and complete the application form.
Send it to us with a cheque or postal order for £13 made payable to Hampshire County Council. Write your name and date of birth on the back of the cheque. A photo is not required, but you can send a new one if you want to.
Bus Pass Team
PO Box 696
- Opening times
Contact the bus pass team by email: email@example.com
8:30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday
8:30am to 4:30pm on Friday
Closed Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays