Apply for a disabled person's bus pass

Find out if you’re eligible, and how to apply for or renew a disabled person’s orange stripe' bus pass

Who can apply

Residents of Hampshire with disabilities can apply. However, if you reside within the unitary authorities of Southampton or Portsmouth, please direct your application to the respective councils.

There is no upper age restriction for the disabled person's bus pass. You are eligible if you are 5 or above and meet any of these criteria:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
  • have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a severe learning disability, including an arrested state of development from birth. See information in section 3
  • are a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service
  • would be refused a driving licence due to physical fitness (section 92 of the Road Transport Act 1988). This includes disabilities that will cause someone to be a danger to the public if they drive and only for people who have been or would be refused a driving licence. If your condition or disability would not result in the DVLA refusing to grant you a driving licence, you are not eligible for a pass under this category. Note: misuse of drugs or alcohol are not covered by the definition of disabled person.

Concessionary fare terms and conditions.

To find out how we use your data see our Privacy Notice.

Documents you need to provide

To qualify for a bus pass, it is important to provide up to date evidence. The documentation should correspond to the category of your application. Ensure that all submitted evidence is recent, not exceeding 12 months, or it should specify the anticipated duration of your disability or indicate that an improvement is not anticipated.

You will need to provide one of the following as evidence of your disability, your name and Hampshire address must be the same as provided on your application and your evidence:

  • Hampshire County Council Blue Badge number or please provide the issuing authority name and the badge number to allow us to check your record
  • award letter for the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
  • award letter for a War Pensioners Mobility Allowance
  • award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • a copy of your letter from the DVLA giving notice of long-term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds
  • if the DVLA letter is not available provide medical evidence from a qualified healthcare professional specific to your disability or relevant medical conditions which states reasons you are unable to drive
  • full award letter for personal independence payment (PIP) where you have been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP "Moving Around" or "Communicating Verbally" activities (let us know if you receive 8 points or more for other categories) An evaluation of the page that displays your points per category is required.
  • audiology evidence demonstrating severe hearing loss – 70-95 dB OR registered with HCC Deaf Services as Deaf (BSL British Sign Language)
  • Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI)

The types of disability which should enable you to claim the statutory minimum bus travel concession are those which are permanent, or which have lasted at least 12 months.

Learning disability - Easy read help

Information about bus passes and application form for people who have learning disabilities.

Information about bus passes – easy read version

Apply for a bus pass – easy read version

Apply for a bus pass

The link at the bottom of this section will enable you to apply on-line OR print a paper application form indicated below to apply manually. Before you go any further please read the following information which is important to your application.

If you apply on behalf of a child aged 5 or above, the evidence you submit needs to show the child's name. A child's school or hospital appointment letter is acceptable for proof of address.

You will need to provide

  • a recent, colour, passport sized photograph of yourself or child if applying on their behalf, (if applying by post print your name and date of birth on the back). Your photograph, which must show your head and covered shoulders only, be without head wear (except on religious or medical grounds) and be front facing and alone, will be printed on the bus pass so that you can be identified as the pass holder when travelling. We cannot accept photographs that are obscured or marked.
  • proof of Hampshire address (e.g. copy of your driving licence or if dated in the last 12 months a utility bill)

If you don’t have the above documents, you will need to provide alternative evidence. Your name and address must be the same as provided on your application form.

You must also provide your evidence of disability

Upon receipt we will review your application and if successful the bus pass will be posted to you within 10 working days. We will contact you if further information is required.

If you are applying for a companion bus pass, in addition to providing evidence of your disability, you will need supporting evidence for a companion. For more information see our companion page.

If you need to update further evidence to your online application re-visit the My Bus Pass website and log in using the seven digit reference number as your username and using the password you supplied when making your original application.

To apply by post, send a completed application form and all the relevant documents to the Bus Pass Team: PO Box 696, Fareham, PO14 9PD.

Please do not send original documents, they will not be returned to you.

When you can use your bus pass

The disabled person’s bus pass entitles you to:

  • free all day travel on bus services on journeys starting in Hampshire (not Portsmouth and Southampton) regardless of where you are travelling to.
  • free travel between 9:30am to 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays on bus services throughout the rest of England. London buses displaying a roundel will accept a disabled person’s pass at any time.
  • use your bus pass on Park and Ride services registered as local bus services (you must still pay for the parking).

For more information about community services in your area, please use Connect: Community Transport in Hampshire.


Disabled person’s bus passes are not valid on:

  • reserved seat services i.e. coaches
  • temporary services running for less than six weeks (e.g. for special events)
  • taxis, rail services, ferries, shopmobility, voluntary car schemes and the Hedge End Park Minibus Service
  • Community Transport services
Is your bus pass due to expire?

If you have changed address without notifying the bus pass team, complete the change of address form, or email [email protected] or call 0300 555 1376, 8:30am to 1pm Monday to Friday. You will need evidence of your new address.

If you have not received a new pass by the expiry date of your current pass please email or call the bus pass team.

Renewing your bus pass

Hampshire County Council Disabled person’s bus passes are automatically reissued four weeks prior to the expiry date of the current one. If your pass is not automatically reissued this means you either need to confirm your address or to provide updated proof of disability before your bus pass can be reissued. When you renew your bus pass online you will be asked to upload documents showing evidence of your address or disability.

Inform the bus pass team if your appearance, address or circumstances has changed as you do have an option to change your current concession if needed. Also notify us if the person for whom the pass has been issued, no longer needs it.

Submit proof of your new address at least eight weeks prior to the expiry of your current pass. Failure to do so may result in additional costs if the pass is dispatched to an incorrect address.

Renew my bus pass

If you are unable to upload your evidence this can be emailed to [email protected] or post a copy of your evidence to Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696 Fareham PO14 9PD. Please include the following information: bus pass number, name and old address and the details of new address, telephone number and email address if you have one.

There are exceptions to the automatic renewal process, for example, when the pass has been issued to children during their educational years. Once education is completed disability evidence is required for the continued use of the concessionary travel scheme.

Other exceptions could include passes issued to adults for a limited period because of a temporary (12 months) driving licence refusal or non-permanent medical conditions.

Should your circumstances, address or appearance alter before expiry of your current bus pass please contact this office as soon as possible on [email protected], provide as much information as you can to help us identify your record.

To validate the change, you’ll need to provide evidence. For instance, if your name has been altered, a marriage certificate or a legal document that displays both your previous and current names would be required.

If you are moving into Hampshire you will need to apply as a new customer.

Moving house

If you are moving out of Hampshire email [email protected] to tell us. You will need to apply to your new authority to replace your bus pass.

If you have moved into Hampshire, and are currently using a previous authority bus pass, you will need to apply as a new customer to Hampshire County Council.

Hampshire County Council bus pass holders who move house since the issue of the current pass are reminded to advise the County Council of their new address by completing the change of address notification form (for current Hampshire County Council customers only). You need to:

  1. complete the online change of address form
  2. provide evidence of your new address - this can be a copy of your driving licence, a utility bill dated within the last 12 months or an official letter with a recognised letterhead showing your address dated within the last 12 months.

There are three different ways to submit your evidence. Your evidence can be:

  1. uploaded when you complete the online change of address form (photos of documents are accepted)
  2. emailed to us at [email protected] as an attachment, ensuring you include your name, OLD address and the new address in the email
  3. posted to Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696 Fareham PO14 9PD ensuring you include a note with your name and OLD address details with your new address evidence.

You will NOT receive a new bus pass when your current bus pass expires unless this evidence is provided.

Lost, damaged or stolen pass

If your pass is not scanning it is likely that the internal electronic chip has been damaged and means you will need to pay for a replacement pass.

If you believe your bus pass is lost or stolen:

  • contact the bus company to ask if someone has handed it in
  • check your home and personal belongings. Many customers find their pass after they report it missing

The cost of a replacement pass is £19. Your lost pass is cancelled when payment is taken for a replacement and refunds cannot be made if your pass is subsequently found. Bus drivers will withdraw cancelled passes.

If the pass has been stolen, the replacement is free if you reported the crime to the police. We will ask for the crime reference number.

We will send the replacement pass to you within 10 working days.

For Hampshire County Council customers only

Apply by credit or debit card

If your address has changed since your current bus pass was issued, please advise the Bus Pass Team of your new address by completing the change of address notification form before ordering your replacement bus pass. Allow 5 working days before applying for a new bus pass, to allow time for your address details to be updated.

Replace a lost, damaged or stolen bus pass

Apply by post

To apply and pay by post, print out and complete the application form.

Send it to us with a cheque or postal order for £19 made payable to Hampshire County Council. Write your name and date of birth on the back of the cheque. A photo is not required, but you can send a new one if you want to.

IMPORTANT: If you have moved address since your current bus pass was issued and have not notified the County Council of the new details, then you need to submit an online change of address notification form before posting your concessionary bus pass replacement application form to us with your payment of £19.

Post to:
Bus Pass Team
PO Box 696
PO14 9PD