Older person's bus pass

Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for and renew an older person's 'blue stripe' bus pass

Who can apply

Concessionary bus passes are available for older people who have reached State Pension age.

Check when you can get your bus pass.

Read the Concessionary Fare terms and conditions.

Our privacy notice.

When you can use your bus pass

The older person’s bus pass entitles you to free travel on bus services throughout England from 9:30am to 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays.

Bus passes issued by another English council can be used in London at any time for free travel on buses displaying the red roundel. Show your pass to the driver as passes don’t currently read on the yellow card readers.

You can also use your bus pass on these Community Transport services:

  • Cango
  • Call and Go, eligible for a 25% discount against full fare
  • Dial a Ride, eligible for a 25% discount against full fare
  • Fleet Link, Yateley Shopper and Eastleigh Parish Links, eligible for a 25% discount against full fare
  • Park and Ride services that are registered as local bus services (though you must still pay for the parking).
  • Hampshire County Council Taxishare and carshare schemes.

For more information on the above and other community transport services in your area, including those that do not accept bus passes, please use our Community Transport search.

Extra eligibility criteria may apply for each of these, please see individual services for information.

The use of this pass on Community Transport services is an enhancement to the national scheme and is only available to Hampshire residents (excluding Southampton and Portsmouth) for journeys taking place within the county.

On routes which have an infrequent service where there is a journey between 9am and 9.29am and then no further journey until 10.31am or later, passes will be accepted for free travel from 9am on those specific routes.

Bus services you can use before 9:30am with your pass.

Apply for a bus pass

The link at the bottom of this section will enable you to apply on-line OR print a paper application form indicated below to apply manually.  Before you go any further please read the following information which is important to your application.

You will need to provide:

  • a current passport sized colour photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back
  • proof of Hampshire address (e.g. copy of your driving licence or utility bill)
  • proof of age (e.g. a copy of your driving licence or letter from the State Pension Service confirming your eligibility for state pension) i.e. a driving licence will cover both age and address.

If you don’t have the above documents, you will need to provide alternative evidence. Your name and address must be the same as provided on your application form.

To apply by post please send a completed application form and all the relevant documents to: Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696, Fareham, PO14 9PD.

Please do not send original documents, they will not be returned to you.

Upon receipt we will review your application and if successful the bus pass will be posted to you within 10 working days. If you apply early your pass will be sent to you in time for your eligibility date. We will contact you if further information is required.


Older person’s bus passes are not valid on:

  • reserved seat services i.e. coaches. 
  • temporary services running for less than six weeks (e.g. shuttle buses to special events and some tourist services e.g. New Forest Tour Bus) 
  • taxis, rail services, ferries, shopmobility, voluntary car schemes and the Hedge End Park Minibus Service 
Renewing your bus pass

If you continue to use your bus pass, Hampshire County Council will send you a new one approximately two weeks prior to the expiry date of your current one.

If you haven’t used your bus pass on a local bus for at least six months you remain eligible for a bus pass but will need to email us to confirm your address before your new one can be issued. Please include the following information: bus pass number, name and old address and the details of new address, telephone number and email address if you have one. Would you also consider informing other eligible customers you may know who also need to update their record? 

The email address is concessionary.fares@hants.gov.uk.

Should your circumstances, address or appearance alter before expiry of your current bus pass contact this office as soon as possible via the same email.

If you are moving into Hampshire you will need to apply as a new customer.

If your health circumstances change you may be able to swap an older person’s bus pass for one of the disabled person’s concessions providing you meet the eligibility criteria. You will need to complete a new application form providing evidence of your disability and return your current pass.

Moving house

Bus pass holders who move house since the issue of the current pass or are moving out of the Hampshire area are reminded to advise the County Council of their new address by completing the change of address notification form (for current Hampshire County Council customers only).

To update your Hampshire address you will need to upload evidence of your new address. This can be a copy of your driving licence or a utility bill dated within the last 6 months. Or an official letter with a recognised letterhead showing your address.

If you are not able to upload evidence of your address change, you will now need to email concessionary.fares@hants.gov.uk and attach it or post a copy to the Bus Pass Team, PO Box 696 Fareham PO14 OPD. You will not receive a new bus pass when your current bus pass expires unless this evidence is provided.

You will need to apply to your new authority to replace your bus pass if you have moved from Hampshire.

If you have moved into Hampshire and currently using a previous authority bus pass you will need to apply as a new customer to Hampshire County Council.

Lost, damaged or stolen pass

If your pass is not scanning it is likely that the internal chip has been damaged. You will need to pay for a replacement pass.

If you believe your bus pass is lost or stolen:

  • contact the bus company to ask if someone has handed it in
  • check your home and personal belongings. Many customers find their pass after they report it missing

The cost of a replacement pass is £13.
We do not pay refunds if you find your pass later on.
If the pass has been stolen, the replacement is free if you reported the incident to the police. We will ask you to tell us the crime or incident reference number.

We will send the replacement pass to you within 10 working days.

For Hampshire County Council customers only

If you wish to apply and pay by debit or credit card on-line and you have moved address since your current bus pass was issued and have not notified the County Council of the new details, then you need to contact the bus pass team by email to update your address before ordering your replacement bus pass online. To do this, complete the change of address notification form. Allow 5 working days before applying for a new bus pass, to allow time for your address details to be updated.

Apply and pay by debit or credit card online

To apply and pay by post, print and complete the application form.

Send it to us with a cheque or postal order for £13 made payable to Hampshire County Council. Write your name and date of birth on the back of the cheque. A photo is not required, but you can send a new one if you want to.

Post to:
Bus Pass Team
PO Box 696
PO14 9PD

Opening times

Contact the bus pass team by email: concessionary.fares@hants.gov.uk

8:30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday
8:30am to 4:30pm on Friday
Closed Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays