Contact us


If you would like to raise a complaint or enquiry, do so by contacting The Citizens Advice Consumer Service.

They will provide initial support to you by offering free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues and will notify Hampshire Trading Standards of any enquiries which may require further action.

Press the following button to report your complaint online:

Report your complaint online

Alternatively, you can phone the consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133.

The service is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Use the following link for further information on Reporting an issue to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service.


If you require chargeable business advice, submit a request through the Chargeable Business Advice app.

Chargeable Business Advice - initial enquiry form

If you would like to raise an enquiry on behalf of your business, contact: [email protected]

Alternatively, you can contact us by post at the following address:

  • The Castle, Winchester, SO22 8UJ

Hampshire Trading Standards collects information about you in order to provide this service. View our privacy policy.

Tobacco and vapes

Reports concerning young people obtaining tobacco or vapes can be submitted via the regional illegal tobacco website.

Press enquiries

For all press enquiries contact the Communications Team.

Other enquiries

We are not able to accept visitors on site. Those wishing to contact us should do so via email.