Accessing support for a Traveller child

Support available

The EMTAS Traveller Achievement Team provides advice and guidance to schools on all aspects of practice and provision in relation to their Gypsy, Roma and Traveller pupils.

Accessing support

Support for Traveller pupils is accessed direct through the EMTAS Traveller Achievement team and takes the form of mentoring/well-being support that follows the child through their primary years and into Secondary phase.

To discuss what support for your Traveller pupils might look like in your school or setting, please contact the Traveller Team via the EMTAS office

Tel: 03707 794222

You will need to provide the following pupil level data for all Traveller pupils who are to be included in your support package:

  • Child’s name
  • Date of Birth
  • UPN
  • Current year group
  • Date started at school

Note that some Roma pupils may be more appropriately supported through first language in a similar way to children for whom English is an Additional Language. If you have a newly-arrived Roma pupil on roll and you require Bilingual Support, please refer them using the online form on the EMTAS website.

For ad hoc enquiries, schools can use the EMTAS Gypsy, Roma and Traveller Phone Line, details as follows:

EMTAS telephone advice service for schools and parents/carers to answer questions relating to Gypsy, Roma and Traveller pupils and to discuss any concerns.
To speak with one of our dedicated Traveller team:

  • Thursday 12:00pm to 3:00pm (term time only)
  • 03707 794222
  • Ask for the Traveller phone line

For further information contact the EMTAS office:

Telephone 03707 794222