Routes into teaching

School led routes

There are school-led training options for graduates who want hands-on training in a school. On a school-led training course, you’ll get the chance to learn on the job in at least two schools, learning from experienced colleagues and putting your new skills into practice from day one.

School-led courses, such as SCITT or Schools Direct, generally last a year and result in the award of qualified teacher status (QTS). Most courses include a postgraduate qualification, which is likely to carry with it Masters level credits.

You should check the exact details of individual courses at Apply for Teacher Training.

Local providers have included the following:

Information about Teaching Apprenticeships can be found via this link Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship: information for potential candidates.

University led routes

University led programmes are at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.

Undergraduate training

There are two types of degree that lead to qualified teacher status (QTS), a Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree and Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) degrees with QTS.

Postgraduate training

University led courses run full-time over one year or part-time over two years. Training includes spending time at university or college and a minimum of 24 weeks in placement schools.

Local providers include:

Other routes

Returners to teaching

When you return to teaching, you bring invaluable experience with you. To make that process as easy as possible DfE have put together some information and resources you might find useful.

From time to time Hampshire County Council run courses for those who have recently returned to the profession. For information on the current arrangements please search the Learning Zone using the term 'Returned to teaching'.

Overseas trained teachers

To be a qualified teacher in England, you will need to gain qualified teacher status (QTS). You may be able to apply for QTS in England without any further training or assessment. Visit the DfE's Get into Teaching website to find out more about which countries are eligible and how to apply through the online service. Although not mandatory for all schools, evidence shows that most schools hire teachers who hold QTS, or are working towards QTS.

Assessment only

If you're an experienced teacher with a degree, you can achieve qualified teacher status (QTS) by the Assessment Only route which allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all of the standards for QTS. Criteria apply, see Assessment only for details and the current provider list.

Troops to Teachers

Training bursaries are available.

Teach First

Teach First is a charity offering a two year programme which trains its participants to be in schools in low-income areas, specifically to address the needs of secondary-level pupils. Eligibility criteria apply, see Teach First.