What you might have to pay for

Some care and support services are provided free of charge, but you may need to pay for other types of services, depending on how much money you have

Services provided free of charge

NHS services

  • Occupational therapists
  • NHS funded nursing care
  • NHS continuing health care
  • Podiatry (chiropody) if your condition is affecting your mobility
  • Telehealth

Hampshire County Council social care

Services for which you may need to pay

  • Homecare
  • Personal care (e.g. help with washing, dressing, getting up/going to bed)
  • Residential care homes
  • Nursing care homes
  • Day centres
  • Adaptations costing £1000 or more
  • Community transport
  • Personal assistants
  • Supported living
  • Shared Lives arrangements
  • Short breaks
  • Telecare

Services for which you will need to pay

How much will I be asked to pay

The amount you may be asked to pay will depend on:

  • your needs, based on your assessment
  • the type of care and support required to meet those needs
  • how much money you have

Hampshire County Council will carry out a financial assessment to work out how much, if anything, you will need to pay towards the cost of your care.

Conducting a financial assessment is a complex process which is dependent on a wide range of factors. Every case is dealt with on an individual basis but here's how it works, in general, for:

What if I disagree with your decision

If you disagree with our decision not to pay for your care services, or you don't think you've been offered enough support to meet your needs, you should speak out.

Independent advice about challenging local authority care provision.