A short history of Ringwwod
Ringwood is the Western Gateway to the beautiful New Forest National Park.
For centuries it has been the traditional market town of the New Forest with its Market Charter dating back to 1226. The Avon Valley Path links Christchurch to the south with Salisbury to the north, a distance of 34 miles. Ringwood is well placed on the pathway and ideal for an overnight stop. The Castleman Trailway follows the route of the old railway line and provides access to the National Park to the east and can be followed for 16.5 miles to Poole in the west.
- Temporarily closed
- Restricted use
Start from the Parish Church in the Market Place and head east along the High Street and Christchurch Road to the Memorial Gardens. Take the path to the left of the gardens to a pedestrian crossing.
Cross and turn right onto Quomp. Continue along Quomp to Hightown Road. Turn left and then right down steps opposite a school, passing to the right of houses and onto Castleman Way.
Cross the road then turn left and continue on for about 230m, then turn right onto Embankment Way. Cross the stile ahead and walk along the Castleman Trailway. Crossing two roads, to the end, beside the old crossing cottage No. 14 at Barrack Lane.
Turn right and continue to the next road, cross then continue onto the Right of Way ahead. At Green Lane turn left, then follow the lane as it bends to the right. Continue to the gate of ‘Crowfields’.
Go into the field to the right of the driveway and continue straight ahead to Christchurch Road. Cross the road and take the gravel track ahead to ‘Oaklands’.
Turn right after the house and follow the Avon Valley Path (AVP) signs back to the Market Place.
For a longer walk turn left at ‘Oaklands’ over the small bridge to make a circuit of Kingston Common, before following the AVP back to the Market Place.