Changing your name

If you’re going to change your name to reflect your marriage or civil partnership, you can get a new passport with your new name before or after the ceremony.

When travelling, the name on your booking and travel information must match the name on your passport.

What name do I use to sign the register at my ceremony if I’m going to change my name?

Sign using your usual signature or mark, for the name you are using on the day of your ceremony. You’ll then need to use the legal certificates, once they have been received as proof of your marriage/civil partnership, to prove that you have the legal right to take or combine your surname with your partner’s surname.

Getting a new passport

Getting a new passport before the ceremony

You can apply for a passport in your new name up to 3 months before your ceremony.

Your old passport will be cancelled, and your new passport is ‘post-dated’. This means you can’t use your passport before the ceremony because it’ll only be valid from the date of your ceremony.

Some countries won’t issue visas for post-dated passports, so check with the country’s embassy or consulate before you book or travel.

Send a ‘passports for newlyweds and civil partners’ form with your documents. Please get this signed by the religious minister or ask the ceremonies team whom you've booked your ceremony through.

Getting a new passport after the ceremony

Send your marriage or civil partnership certificate when you apply for a passport in your new name, including for double-barrelled surnames.

For further information, refer to the guide on changing your name on your passport.