Register a death

Our teams can help guide you through the process of registering a death.

The Medical Certificate of Cause of Death will be electronically scanned directly to us from the GP, Hospital or ME. The Coroner’s Office will also scan their paperwork directly to us. Once we have received the paperwork our system will allow you to book an appointment. When entering details please ensure that you use first name only, surname and date of death.

If you are unable to book an appointment, this could be that we have not received the paperwork. You will need to check with the GP, Hospital or Coroner that the paperwork has been electronically scanned to us and that there has been no delay in the paperwork being sent.

What to do after someone dies

We have created a guide to help you know what steps to take, and what legally needs to happen after someone has died.

1. Register the death

Register the death within five days unless there’s a coroner’s inquest. 

2. Arrange the funeral

Visit the site for help with arranging a funeralYou will also find information about:

  • finding bereavement services from your local council
  • getting help paying for a funeral
  • getting help paying for a child's funeral
  • finding bereavement help and support

3. Tell services about the death

You will need to inform all the relevant government departments when someone dies along with other services including banks, utility companies, and landlords or housing associations.

Get help with informing all services

4. Check if you can get bereavement benefits

You might be able to receive Bereavement Support Payment if your spouse or civil partner has died, or Guardian's Allowance if you're bringing up a child whose parents have died

5. Deal with your own benefits, pension and taxes

Your tax, benefit claims and pension might change depending on your relationship with the person who died.

The website can help with:

6. Check if you need to apply to stay in the UK

If your right to live in the UK depends on your relationship with someone who died, you might need to apply for a new visa.

Visit the website for help if you're in the UK as the partner of a British Citizen or someone with indefinite leave to remain

7. Apply for probate and check if you need to pay for Inheritance Tax

You might need to apply for probate and pay Inheritance Tax before you can deal with the property, money and possessions (the ‘estate’) of the person who died.

Find out more about wills and probate

8. Deal with the estate

Any debts or taxes owed by the person who's died must be paid. You can then distribute the estate as set out in the will or the law.

Visit the website for help with:

Mental Wellbeing

Mental Wellbeing Hampshire is a partnership of organisations working to support good mental health and wellbeing in our communities.

mental Wellbeing Hampshire logo