Ceremonies abroad

If you’re a British national wanting to get married or enter into a civil partnership abroad, you’ll need certain documents from the UK government, for example a certificate of no impediment (CNI).

Use the gov.uk getting married abroad tool to find out how to get the documents you’ll need.

Contact the local authority where you want to get married to find out what you need to do. If they need to contact us, they’ll advise you about what the next steps are.

Your marriage or civil partnership will be recognised in the UK if it’s allowed under UK law, and you followed the correct process in the country where your ceremony took place.

Refer to the gov.uk guide on getting married abroad for more information.

If you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK, why not get married at one of Hampshire’s romantic ceremony venues? Or, for more information, check out our guide to getting married in the UK.