Hampshire Music Service is one of the largest music services in the country. We provide a music education service to Hampshire schools and colleges.
We promote high quality learning opportunities, at school and beyond the school day, through:
- small group instrumental and vocal tuition in schools
- class music teaching
- Instrument hire scheme
- area and county youth ensembles
- support for teaching staff
- workshops and large-scale projects
- Listen2Me – a programme for all primary school children
Local Authority maintained schools subscribe through a Service Level Agreement (SLA). Other schools and colleges can subscribe through a formal contract. We work with schools through a management partnership arrangement. HMS managers meet with representative headteachers to review the work of HMS and discuss future arrangements.
The current SLA operates from April 2020 to March 2023 and provides a full description of our services.
The Listen2Me project, is supported by Government Standards Fund. The use of this funding in Hampshire has been praised by OfSTED and through our Best Value Review.
Hampshire Music Service has been the Lead Partner of the Hampshire Music Education Hub since September 2012. We are also a member of Music Mark which aims to be a national voice for its member services and the vast majority of music services are now members.
Hampshire Music Service is also affiliated to, or subscribes to, the following organisations and publications:
- Arts & Business (A&B)
- British Association of Symphonic Bands and Wind Ensembles (BASBWE)
- British Federation of Young Choirs (BFYC)
- Music Education Yearbook
- National Association of Youth Orchestras (NAYO)
HMS is represented at area and national meetings of the National Association of Music Educators and Music Mark.